2.8% Tarrif increase

Whilst any rate rise is unwelcome, this is not too high and I’ve compared how much my energy would cost from other suppliers, I would have to pay considerably more if I wanted green energy. #imstayingput

I hAve joined bulb…or going through the process and I get this. Why didn’t I get a quote including this increase!.I’m not happy

I agree with Aliform_donny47 - I too am going through the sign up process (started just last week) so the increase must have been known about and whilst I don’t think it’s too bad and won’t put me off switching I would have preferred to have a quote based on true likely cost.

Personally, I’ve barely even paid anything to Bulb due to the referrals - that keeps me staying put.

I’m constantly impressed by Bulb communications - they are always up front about rate rises (which are rare) and give plenty of details about the ‘whys’ and ‘wherefores’. We’ve saved a shed load via the referral bonus, and their rates are always competitive - very happy with them!

Night electricity charge is being raised by more than 22%. That’s TWENTY TWO PER CENT. Any reason why those who use the night tariff for heating are being unfairly penalised? An explanation would be good, Bulb?

I agree with Aliform_donny47 - I too am going through the sign up process (started just last week) so the increase must have been known about and whilst I don't think it's too bad and won't put me off switching I would have preferred to have a quote based on true likely cost.

Bulb review their prices every week (see the “Our Price Principles” as https://bulb.co.uk/blog/energy-price-watch-changes-to-our-energy-prices ) and so it’s perfectly possibly they didn’t plan the increase last week (and isn’t it better for them to communicate to customers the day they make the decision rather than sitting on it for weeks?) and they have given 60 days notice - so more than necessary. As it is, the price rise was delayed longer than many people expected it to be (Bulb did “warn” people in December that they might have to put up prices in March if wholesale prices continue at that rate: so putting the prices up at the end of April is nearly 2 months later than planned).

Night electricity charge is being raised by more than 22%. That’s TWENTY TWO PER CENT. Any reason why those who use the night tariff for heating are being unfairly penalised? An explanation would be good, Bulb?

I would guess the wholesale rates for energy at nighttime have gone up - looking at https://www.nordpoolgroup.com/Market-data1/#/n2ex/chart (which is an power market: I’ve got no idea if Bulb use them or not in anyway, it’s just an example), shows prices between 6pm and 9pm going quite high and apart from between 3am and 6am, the prices seem to be very similar (if not high in some cases) during “peak time” - so the night energy prices aren’t really too much different from “day rates” on average at the moment.

This could be an issue with growing solar energy production: whilst people are more “active” and use more energy during the day, more and more places have solar panels (so don’t need grid energy) and solar farms are able to put cheap power into the grid during those times. At night, it’s reverting to more expensive fossil fuels (okay, wind - which tends to be more active during the day due to heating/thermals - will still be active and so will tidal fuels).

@Alifrom_donny47 and @Bean we don’t start giving quotes that use the new prices until we decide and announce the new prices, which we only did on 28/02/18. Keep in mind that you have tons of time to switch away from us, if you’d like (or withdraw your switch, if you’re still in the cooling off period) – and still take advantage of the old tariff until your new switch completes. We’d prefer you stay, of course…

@Nightowl see @“Selina at Bulb”'s comment here. Wholesale prices being higher off-peak than peak are part of the issue, but the key driver is higher distribution costs in some parts of the country.

the increase must have been known about

We have been considering a price increase for some time, since mid-December. We only made the decision to make it happen on Tuesday though.

Since December we’ve had a message on our quote page directly below the quote that said we may have to increase our prices in April. We’re sorry if this wasn’t clear enough. Is there anything we could do to make it clearer in future?