£301.08 bill for June 2021

I have been slapped with a £301.08 bill covering last month. I have never used that much energy in winter with heating on, forget about the summer.

The only new device at home is a wifi extender, which couldn’t have consumed all that energy.

Could it be possible that someone is stealing my electricity? I live in a block of flats so I imagine there’s a low chance of this but I don’t understand where this energy usage came from (1476 kWh), and the huge bill!

Have your previous bills been estimated and June’s is catching up? If you’ve always supplied your readings correctly, then ask for a check meter or check the usage daily to see if it’s racking up the units. For that amount of use, I’d expect to see the meter flying off the wall!!

I’m in a similar boat…. Something very strange is happening. We have a smart meter so I can’t understand why our bills have increased so much … in the summer!

I’ve been providing meter readings when asked, so unless Bulb hasn’t been using them when received I can’t understand the hike.

Hey @Grazka

I’ve had a look at your account and it is due to what @Anton59 mentioned- you last submitted a reading to us on 30/10/20 and then another one on 10/06/21. This meant that in between those months your bills were estimated and were estimated lower than what you’ve used. When we got the latest meter reading, it caused a catch up bill was produced. So although it looks like 1 months use it was actually spread out across those 8 months we didn’t get a reading.

I recommend submitting a reading at a minimum every 3 months to avoid long use of estimates and possible bill jumps :relaxed:

Hey @thelockettfamily :wave:

We’re getting regular readings from your smart meter but I can see there has been an increase lately- has any work been done at your property or new appliances installed etc?

It’s unusual for a meter to not be recording accurately, causes can be:

• Particularly cold or mild seasonal weather leading to use of more or less energy than normal

• Changes in circumstance (eg illness, new baby, working at home etc)

• Faulty appliances using more energy than it should (a trace test would show this; which can be carried out by an electrician)

• Changing types of appliance (ie moving from gas to electricity or vice versa)

If you believe that none of the above applies to you, you can try a little test on the meter.

All you need to do is to take a photo of your meter reading, turn the electricity off at the fuse box, and then take another photo at least 30 minutes later. The reading shouldn’t have changed over that period. If it has, there could be something wrong with your meter. You’d just need to send us both sets of photos so that we could have a look for you and take it from there.

Let us know how it goes!

– H :bulb:

I’ve been submitting meter readings on a regular. I don’t understand why they weren’t included over the months.

No works were being done in the property, no reason why the energy usage would increase so much.

Either way, I topped up my account. The regular payments were increased to £150+ pounds so I’ll be reaching out to get this reduced as soon as I build a huge credit balance like last time.

Many thanks Holly.

Good morning @Grazka :wave:

Ah I’m sorry that they’re not showing. What I’d suggest is submitting a reading around 30th/31st/1st of each month so that each statement is accurate to your usage (at least for a few months). This will make tracking your usage much easier as well, and we can take a look at your payments in a few months as you say.

Thank you for making that top up payment.

I can see that you had a smart meter appointment booked in a while back but this was cancelled. Is this something that you’d still be interested in at all? Your meters should send us automatic readings every month which will give you accurate statements every month. If you’re still interested, and you’re eligible, you can book an installation via your Bulb account.

Any questions, please let us know of course.

Take care,

Niamh :bulb: