About my bill

Hi my electric bill is coming far to hi I have stopped using my tumble dryer for 2 months now but again my readings are hi what do I do this is driving me mad what do I do when winter cones

The are a couple of possibilities.

1. Your bills are estimated. Either you haven’t submitted monthly meter readings, or those readings aren’t being used.
  2. Maybe your meter is faulty. This is unlikely, but does happen.
  3. Something in your house is using more energy that it should, or used to do.

Your statements will tell you the answer to 1). Bulb will be able to help you with 2) but if there is found to be no fault there will be a charge. It would be best to look at 3) and eliminate problems or faults within your property first. What have you done so far to try to work out why your bills are high, other than stopping using the dryer?

Either you haven't submitted monthly meter readings, or those readings aren't being used.
Readings must be submitted within a time frame of 3 days when you receive an email requesting them otherwise estimates will be used.

I submit meter readings all the time

@Kazzi I also submit meter readings all the time, once a week normally.

I do have a smart meter but I don’t like the way Bulb only trys to get a reading on the bill day. If there’s an issue with the WAN etc then they will use an estimate reading instead.

I would prefer if bulb took readings from the smart meter every half hour or daily so the account is always accurate.

As long as they keep doing it once a month then I will manually add readings once a week haha.

I would prefer if bulb took readings from the smart meter every half hour or daily so the account is always accurate.

Have you told Bulb this? You need to explicitly give your permission to increase the cadence from monthly.

Have you told Bulb this? You need to explicitly give your permission to increase the cadence from monthly.

I just found that link so have emailed them to request they change it to half an hour.
Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

@Androulla65,

If you’re concerned at having such high bills and think it’s either the meter of an appliance as @Hooloovoo mentions, then I’d recommend testing out both appliances and meter.

There is a test to check if your energy meters are working properly. This is called a burns test.

Essentially it either involves turning everything off or everything on and checking which meter is ticking over or not.

For electricity:

Turn off your power at the fuse box and check if the electricity meter is still clocking consumption. It should have stopped, as no electricity is being used – so if it’s clocking, it’s probably faulty.

For gas:

Start by turning off all your gas appliances and heating.

Turn on one item, such as a single gas ring, and then watch the meter for a few minutes. For a single gas ring the meter should only clock a few kilowatt hours over the course of five minutes. Make a note of the amount the meter clocks up, and tell us the figures you’ve noted.

We’ll be able to judge whether your meter’s working properly or not.