Account in credit - can I reduce direct debit amount?

My account is considerably in credit as the direct debit account hasn’t changed since I opened the account. I submit meter readings prior to billing so why isn’t my direct debit amended to reflect this? In fact as you take payments in advance, why isn’t the direct debit just for the amount of the bill? I have an elderly relative also with Bulb and his account is even worse!

You can manually manage your direct debit on the app and on the website and set it to an appropriate level.

Or you can request a refund of the excess credit by email.

Mine was back in my bank within 36 hours of my request

Email help@bulb.co.uk for a refund.

My account is considerably in credit as the direct debit account hasn't changed since I opened the account. I submit meter readings prior to billing so why isn't my direct debit amended to reflect this? In fact as you take payments in advance, why isn't the direct debit just for the amount of the bill? I have an elderly relative also with Bulb and his account is even worse!

This article may assist with your query https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115003405632-How-do-Bulb-payments-and-statements-work- . You have a fair amount of control on with regards to your Direct Debit payments were you unaware of this aspect?

Bulb tries to set your Direct Debit to be one twelfth of the cost of your energy for the next year, this should avoid the need to keep amending your monthly Direct Debit. This approach is similar to that adopted my two previous energy suppliers (each being one of the so called big 6).

The law is quite clear about your rights----

“Under Ofgem rules, customers are entitled to be repaid any credit on request, or have direct debits reduced, as long as up-to-date meter readings have been provided.”

The law is quite clear about your rights----

“Under Ofgem rules, customers are entitled to be repaid any credit on request, or have direct debits reduced, as long as up-to-date meter readings have been provided.”

This is covered in the Bulb article I quoted a little earlier?

Or are you saying it doesn’t meet the OFGEM rules?

Great - I had no idea I could change the DD from my end - all sorted now and thanks!!!

Thanks for coming back on and letting us customers know, I wish more would do that.

:slight_smile: