Account in debit

I received an email to say that my account is in debit of over £400 based on my latest meter reading. We’re moving out in three weeks so I’ve requested that my last payment stay the same and we make a one off payment for any outstanding amounts. However, I’m really not happy about paying the full outstanding cost as I received an email from bulb back in September to say that they were going to be increasing my monthly DD by £20 a month. No problem. Except this never happened. I’ve always been paying the same amount. As a result of bulb not increasing my dd, like they said they would, this has now left me with a large outstanding bill that I simply cannot afford to pay. I have emailed about this but thought I would post on here too in hope I have a quick reply. Many thanks.

I have emailed about this but thought I would post on here too in hope I have a quick reply. Many thanks.

Purely as another customer, why didn’t you increase the payments via your account dashboard?

I didn’t manually increase them as the told me that they would do it automatically, when they didn’t change I assumed they had changed their mind. Now 9 months down the line turns out they should’ve done what they said they’d do

I check my own usage of elec and gas so I know exactly how much I am using verses how much I am paying. Unfortunately in this case I don’t think it’s bulbs fault after all you have used the electricity and gas so rightly so will need to pay for that usage

I didn’t manually increase them as the told me that they would do it automatically, when they didn’t change I assumed they had changed their mind. Now 9 months down the line turns out they should’ve done what they said they’d do

I’m sorry to hear about your situation. In hindsight you should have been checking your monthly statement to see if your account is going into a credit or debit situation and if need be amend your monthly payments. Please see: https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115003405632-How-do-Bulb-payments-and-statements-work-

Plus I wasnt aware bulb automatically increased payments I thought it was suggestions they gave to do that

Hi @Em127 , sorry to hear about your outstanding debit.

@emmapearson and @Allanr are right that it’s good to check your statements each month to see your usage and if your payments are at the right level.

Submit readings when you can as that’ll always give you a good indication of where you’re at and whether it’s worth increasing or decreasing your payments, it also avoids individual big bills when you give a reading after a long period of estimates.

Are you sure Bulb said they were going to increase your monthly payment? Most notifications from Bulb of that kind are suggestions - i.e., they are worded specifically saying they suggest you increase your payment. I understand Bulb do send notifications saying they are going to actually increase the payment for you, from what people have said on here, but it’s rare. It’s much more common for such emails to simply be suggestions.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but before starting a complaint it would be best to double check that Bulb did actually say they were going to increase your payment, and not just suggesting that you might want to do it yourself.

I suppose you probably don’t have that email any more. It would be better if all communication from Bulb appeared under “Messages” in “Payments and Statements”, just like the initial “Welcome Pack” email, so that both parties would have a permanent record. But for whatever reason, they do not. Just one more issues on the list of things Bulb need to do better.

This is what the website says about increasing payments "Our calculations are based on information from your own meter readings, and from the previous energy supplier at your property. But you’re always in control. If you’d rather make a single top-up payment, or manage your monthly payments yourself, you can check your usage and update your payments in the Bulb Account at any time.

Hi all, thanks for your replies. Yes Bulb 100% confirmed in the email that they would be automatically increasing my payments

“This means your energy will cost £20.41 more each month. These new prices will take effect from 11th November. We’re giving you 60 days’ notice so you have time to think things through.“

In hindsight maybe I should have been constantly checking my account but as I had received an email saying they were automatically going to do it, I assumed that would always be the case should my payments need to be increased.
I have emailed bulb directly but yet to have a response so we will see.

Isn’t this just the 60 day notice of your energy costs increasing to give you chance to consider moving to an alternative supplier before the new costs kick in? You would have needed to increase your direct debit seperately to account for this unless you already had sufficient credit in surplus.

Surely bulb recommended what your monthly payment should have been altered too on your monthly statements which are emailed - sounds like you have not been reading these?

The recommendation also exists on the ‘payments and statements’ page although you do have to go there to see it - perhaps this should be made more visible on the dashboard when your payment is vastly different to the recommendation.

You don’t need to be constantly checking, just once a month for a submitting a reading and reviewing the statement is all you needed to do.

Hi all, thanks for your replies. Yes Bulb 100% confirmed in the email that they would be automatically increasing my payments

“This means your energy will cost £20.41 more each month. These new prices will take effect from 11th November. We’re giving you 60 days’ notice so you have time to think things through.“

In hindsight maybe I should have been constantly checking my account but as I had received an email saying they were automatically going to do it, I assumed that would always be the case should my payments need to be increased.
I have emailed bulb directly but yet to have a response so we will see.

I’m afraid you have misunderstood.

As @Phillip_PAL says, that email you’ve quoted is in relation to an increase in your actual tariff - i.e., the cost your your energy per kWh. This is different to the value of your direct debit, i.e., the amount you pay per month.

Again as @Phillip_PAL says, you don’t need to be “constantly checking your account”. But you should be at the very least glancing over the statements you are sent once a month where you can keep an eye on your costs and your account balance. It would seem likely that to have run up a debt of over £400 you’ve been ignoring your financial responsibilities for several months.

I’m sorry to say, and I know you wont like hearing this, but the only party at fault here is you.

Hi Em127

I have looked at the email which I received regarding the price increase from 11 November and it said something similar to your but it also included:

We won’t change your monthly payments right now

We’ll keep an eye on your account and will let you know if we think your payments should change over the next 3 months.

Did your email include any similar advice even if it was to suggest you increase your payments?