Actual cost of a kWh

I’m just thinking aloud here - if anyone can find a flaw in my reasoning, kindly let me know - likewise any constructive input.
I was asked by a foreign friend of mine what I paid per kWh of electricity and realised I couldn’t say for sure because of the standing charge component. The headline rate per kWh is 12.39p, while the per diem standing charge is 19.47p. So tot up the kWh for the year and multiply by 12.39p, then multiply the s/c by 365 (days in the year), add the two together then divide by the kWh you consumed, and that gives you that particular year’s price per kWh (which in my case was 17.71p in 2018). The more electricity you consume, the lower the price per kWh.

If it is just the actual cost per kWh then that is on your monthly statement
For easy calculation to include standing charge etc there is an annual estimate on your monthly statement which just needs dividing by kWh used which again is on your monthly statement.

I'm just thinking aloud here - if anyone can find a flaw in my reasoning, kindly let me know - likewise any constructive input.

I don’t see anything wrong with your calculation. Although I’m interested, is the reason for working that out because your friend pays only the cost per kWh and no standing charge? I’ve no idea how energy pricing works in other countries so it would be interesting to learn. How does the figure you calculated compare with what they pay?

I can’t give you the price, but in France consumers pay for the consumption plus a monthly subscription - so like us in the UK. Their solar generation is different, in that they are provided with a meter that displays what they export to the grid (i.e. they know what they generate, what they export and what they import from the utility) whereas we in the uk don’t know what we export to the grid - we are “deemed” to export half of what we generate.

I can't give you the price, but in France consumers pay for the consumption plus a monthly subscription - so like us in the UK.

So why the need to calculate the standing charge inclusive kWh cost?

whereas we in the uk don't know what we export to the grid

Thankfully smart meters have sorted this out and measure export as well as import.

That’s good to know, though I for one am relieved I’m not in the initial wave of smart meter roll-out. Happy to wait until the system is bulletproof. I pity utilities like bulb who are getting all the flak.