Additional payments

Hi,
I switched to Bulb because I was assured that it would be cheaper than my current plan. I was told that it would be a monthly rate and there would be no additional payments. However for the last 3 months I’ve received regular emails saying that I need to TRIPLE my monthly payments (£40 - £120) a month in order to pay for my energy usage or I’ll have to pay a large ‘catch up’ payment - which I can’t afford and hadn’t budgeted for!

I feel scammed and the regular emails saying this are incredibly stressful! Is this legal? Am I protected against this in any way? Bulb weren’t at all helpful over the phone - they simply told me that the monthly payments didn’t cover our energy usage and there wasn’t anything we could do about this.

Thanks in advance!

Are the unit rates (pence per kWh) and the standing charges lower than what you were charged by your previous supplier? Then you are still saving money.

Don’t mistake “the monthly direct debit” for “the bill”. They are almost entirely unrelated for any given month. Also, perhaps your usage has gone up? Have you been submitting regular meter readings to keep your account accurate and up to date?

@spreg As we haven’t had actual readings we have to do this calculation based on estimated readings (which are in fact based on historical readings that have been given for your meter). As we cannot guarantee that we will ever receive actual readings from our members we do unfortunately have to do these calculations based on estimated figures sometimes as we do not want our members to build up a debt on the account.

If you could get us readings I am very happy to re-calculate the monthly payment.

As we haven't had actual readings

Ah, more self inflicted problems I see.

I swear the majority of the problems people have with energy suppliers are self inflicted, either through lack of understanding or sheer laziness.

As we haven't had actual readings

Ah, more self inflicted problems I see.

I swear the majority of the problems people have with energy suppliers are self inflicted, either through lack of understanding or sheer laziness.

Submitting my metre readings right now Hooloovoo!!!

Submitting my metre readings right now Hooloovoo!!!

Great! Keep it up!

Do let us know how you get on.

Submitting my meter readings right now Hooloovoo!!!

If I could make a polite comment, you did mention in your initial post “However for the last 3 months I’ve received regular emails saying that I need to TRIPLE my monthly payments”.

In addition you should have received regular monthly emails including something like:

Hi ****,

Just so you know, your monthly payment of £*** will come out of your bank account in three days.

If you’d like us to calculate your monthly statement using your actual usage, send us a meter reading today or tomorrow. No worries if you can’t, we’ll use an estimated reading instead.

When you receive this it is the opportune moment to submit your meter readings in future. Hopefully it should avoid unpleasant hike in DD payments of the order you mention…

@spreg I can see the readings in the system now, thank you. Based on this consumption we are recommending a reduced amount. I will message you with the details :slight_smile:

@spreg Amazing what happens when you provide the information required from you, isn’t it?

Do you still feel scammed? I trust you’ll be posting a public retraction of your accusations.

You’re a mine of really useful, helpful information about Bulb but why do you so often follow it up with insults? I’m surprised and disappointed that Bulb allow such bullying on their forum.

You're a mine of really useful, helpful information about Bulb but why do you so often follow it up with insults? I'm surprised and disappointed that Bulb allow such bullying on their forum.

@metermaid Hardly an insult or bullying to call someone out on inappropriate claims of “scam” and questioning whether the company are operating illegally.

She was under a lot of stress. Once again, no understanding shown just an opportunity spotted to be arrogant and rude. Back off.
Besides which, it’s not your place to answer for Bulb. Let them do it for themselves.

She was under a lot of stress. Once again, no understanding shown just an opportunity spotted to be arrogant and rude. Back off.

Back off? Excuse me. So much hypocrisy in your post.

So it’s ok to be rude and make baseless allegations if you’re stressed. Good to know.

Besides which, it's not your place to answer for Bulb. Let them do it for themselves.

Best just close this community then I guess.