Advance payment explanation , please assist

Apologies if this may be a silly question, but the advance payment that customers are asked to pay on switch day, doesn’t this mean I would be paying twice or extra for a years supply of energy? A case of using energy for a month after switch day and being billed in the following month ie switch day 12th Nov then first month’s bill on the 12th and so on. Once again sorry if i have missed anything but clarity and understanding of this would be appreciated.

@Mohammed7 , your advance payment is certainly not to cover your entire years supply of energy just a monthly average that you are expected to use and spread the cost of energy evenly over the year rather than high bills in the winter and lower in the summer.

Your advance payment is taken, then a month later your billed, and so forth.

Apologies if this may be a silly question, but the advance payment that customers are asked to pay on switch day, doesn't this mean I would be paying twice or extra for a years supply of energy? A case of using energy for a month after switch day and being billed in the following month ie switch day 12th Nov then first month's bill on the 12th and so on. Once again sorry if i have missed anything but clarity and understanding of this would be appreciated.

Not sure if I can explain it with more clarity:

You wont be paying twice or extra for a years supply.

Lets assume you switched to Bulb in 12 October. then Bulb will require a payment on 12 October to pay for the energy you are going to use from 12 October to 11 November. Bulb wont know the actual energy you are going to use but will estimate it. This is one months advance payment

On 12 November Bulb will then require another payment from you to cover your energy use from 12 November to 11 December, again it will only be an estimate of the energy used for that period.

On 12 December Bulb will then require another payment from you to cover your energy use from 12 December to 11 January, again it will only be an estimate of the energy used for that period

This process continues each month, but at no time have you been charged twice.

To make sure your estimates of energy used are not getting out of hand, it is best if you submit monthly readings so that each month the Statement issued by Bulb will be actual rather than estimated. This means any estimates will self correct itself in the following month.

If regrettably you decide at some stage to leave Bulb, then any advance payment will be refunded when the final or closing bill is issued.

Thank you Allan this really clarifies it! Thanks @ Justsavvy as well