Air Source Heating

Hello, Can someone tell me if Bulb is compatible for Air Source Heating? I see they only offer one tariff, Economy 7. Any help or advice would be good.

Could you define “compatible”?

They supply generic electrons that will operate all forms of electric heating.

I guess you mean do they have a tariff that makes operating an air source heat pump economically viable. What sort of tariff are you looking for? What will be the electric usage profile of your proposed new system?

1 Like

Hi, new to all this my apologies. I currently have storage heating and changing to air source. The storage works on the old cheap rate at night, I’m not sure how air source will operate. Should I go for a flat rate?

I think you’ll need more information from the installers on how the proposed system will operate before you can answer that question.

Ok thank you for your help

@adamski3138

Agree with @Hooloovoo. If the installers could confirm what times the air source heating turns on, I think it’s somewhat like GCH, that your thermostat will control this based on desired temp, there may also be a time schedule control unit.

Also check with them, or if you have a smart meter and IHD, how much electricity it consumes whilst it is on. Depending on the kW usage, you may want to look if it’s possible to avoid using the Air Source Heater between 4pm and 7pm and move either to Bulb’s Smart Tariff or another suppliers TOU tariff. As this could potentially save you quite a alot.

My personal advice would be to avoid Bulb’s Smart Tariff, and find either the best single rate tariff (Bulb are ok but not the best). Or have a look at Octopus Agile which I think is probably the best TOU tariff available currently. Use the following site to see the tariffs half hourly costing: https://www.energy-stats.uk/octopus-agile/ they also cap the peak price to 35p/kWh.

Just a few more thoughts …

What will the air source heat pump be driving?

Air to air?
Air to water?

If water, what system? Radiators or under floor heating?

Will you be including a heat battery of some sort (e.g., Sunamp) so that the heat pump can run all night and charge up the heat battery, then discharge through the day?

If it’s just an air-to-air system which is essentially just an efficient fan heater, then the answer is simple since the system will always have to run at the times you want heat during the day and so you’ll likely be better off with the best single rate tariff you can find as @Pantalaimon says. Other than that, the question gets a lot more complicated.

1 Like

Hello, it’s a air to water system, no underground heating and no battery. So yeah I think the best is to find a good flat rate. Really appreciate all the help!!