Annual Total kWh

Is there an easier way to get the total for kWh used for each gas and electricity over a 12 month period? I’ve gone through a year’s bills but there are so many corrections from estimated bills and whatnot I’m slowly losing the will to live.

I’d find this helpful as well. It would be great if the app could show all previous readings along with a running yearly total.

Is there an easier way to get the total for kWh used for each gas and electricity over a 12 month period?

It would be useful, but personally I retain a simple spreadsheet where I record past monthly usage in kWh. This totals up the usage on a rolling 12 months and I also use this to calculate my anticipated energy costs over the next 12 months to arrive at my monthly direct debit payment…

Is there an easier way to get the total for kWh used for each gas and electricity over a 12 month period?

If you have a bill from 12 months ago, and your latest bill, then it’s quite easy:

For electric: The meter read is in kWh: Just substract the reading on the Sept 2017 bill from the one on the Sept 2018 bill, and you get your usage in kWh for the 12 months.

For gas it’s a bit more tricky, as these measure the volume of gas used (in cubic metres or cubic feet) rather than the amount of energy consumed. However, your bill has the math required printed on it, and it’s still very simple arithmetics. So just again calculate the difference between opening and closing reads, and then follow the math on your bill.

edit: The “calorific value” will likely be different depending on where you live, so you need to check your own bill for the specific numbers. It’ll also change from time to time (daily, actually), so this isn’t going to be a hugely precise calculation, but over the period of a year it should give you enough accuracy to predict next year’s spend to a reasonable degree of certainty.

Hi @raymond4871 .

Also, in the “Account and tariff info” section of your account you can find the ‘Assumed Annual Consumption’ for both gas and electricity (in kWh’s), though I don’t know how these figures are specifically arrived at.

Hi @raymond4871 .

Also, in the “Account and tariff info” section of your account you can find the ‘Assumed Annual Consumption’ for both gas and electricity (in kWh’s), though I don’t know how these figures are specifically arrived at.

The assumed annual figures can be reasonably accurate but a bad winter and a good summer can throw them out, like other members I have my own spreadsheet and one can use various formulas to work out the years usage, The industry and Bulb will have their own variations of this, my image below shows how year on year it can vary.

For clarification The October figure is the day I receive my bill on 1st of the month so is actually my September usage,

Just divide your Gas M3 by 11. You won;t be far out. Also, if you log into your account on a PC, you;ll be able to see previous readings.

Just divide your Gas M3 by 11. You won;t be far out. .

Should it be multiply by 11? :wink: