Are they not as good as they say?

This is a cut/paste from my email to Bulb and their response - has anyone anything to say on this matter? I want to feel that I have made the right switch here:-

"Hi, Good Energy, our current provider are trying to tell me that Bulb isn’t very good and I am about to switch to your company - this is what they say, so please comment.

"What makes us different to Bulb?
We make sure that for every unit of power our customers use each year, we’ve purchased a unit of 100% renewable electricity directly from our community of 1,400 UK renewable generators. So the more customers we have, the more clean power we have to buy from our community of independent renewable generators. We commit to paying them a fair price, which helps grow the market for renewable power. This is something that’s only possible with the support of customers like you.

Instead of buying all their power directly from renewable generators, Bulb buy most of their electricity on the open market and then buy green certificates to match their estimate of your consumption. Which means you could actually be paying for fossil fuels or nuclear power.

You won’t see this on Bulb’s website, but we know that some of our customers switched to us when Bulb confirmed they were doing this for over 80% of their electricity".

Jack H. (Bulb)
19 Apr 2019, 10:52 (3 days ago)
to me

##- Please type your reply above this line -##

Jack H. (Bulb Help)

Apr 19, 10:52 BST

Hi Peter,

Thanks for getting in touch. Good Energy are correct that we guarantee our electricity is green through the purchase of renewable energy certificates, which are endorsed by the government and Ofgem to ensure that all electricity that we purchase is from a renewable source.

Different suppliers have different strategies on the best way to improve the sustainability of the UK energy market.

Bulb is trying to “green-up the grid”. By creating extra demand for green energy, more independent generators will enter the market. Over time, this will lead to a greater proportion of the UK’s energy coming from green sources.

We have recently improved our gas from 10% green gas, to 100% carbon neutral. You can read more about this here:

You may be interested in discussing this in our active community at the following link":

Each to their own and what is important to them. But as an example, all those people that have been demonstrating in London about saving the planet using mobile phones that cause pollution in their manufacture, use laptops, drive to work, probably still use a fair bit of plastic and support governments that are of the do as I say not what I do brigade …how many times has TM flown to Brussels in a private plane! Bought sun lotion in a plastic bottle during this heatwave, why not just stay out of the sun if they are that concerned.

Too many people are all for saving the planet but only with the parts that suit them. Apologies for ranting but that’s how I see it.
I do my bit but I am not accepting all the media hysteria over this.

@scudo I don’t approve of the methods extinction rebellion use to get their point across.

Yes its extreme, but they are getting their point across. Every article the BBC writes about them, the eventual objectives are there.

I for one, think they are succeeding in moving the climate change up the agenda.

If the world put the amount of effort it did for world war II into climate change, we’d easily beat the Paris agreement targets.

Consumerism is killing the planet, planned obsolescence is a nightmare, I can guarantee, if you had a 60s refrigerator it would still be working ( even if it’s only 70% as efficient as a new one) but the efficiency is more than outweighed by the amount of modern fridges you’d have to buy to keep them going for 50 years. My last fridge gave up after 2.5 years. I tried getting it repaired by the original manufacturer but after 5 weeks without and 4 engineer visit they gave up and replaced it anyway.

@Jhidaci676_ This is really interesting, thanks for highlighting it. After looking into this on the Bulb website and Good Energy website, it sounds to me like they both do the same thing. In the sense that they both initially manage your energy usage from the grid (FF’s included). Then they both estimate your useage and pay for green energy to go into the grid. However the difference is that Bulb buy the Energy Certificates which promotes the demand for green energy into the grid. Good Energy buy green energy directly from known suppliers and put it into the grid.
It would be good to get clarification from Bulb on this. It was difficult to come to this conclusion so I may be off.

I note the lack of response from Bulb on Lassie’s question, and on similar questions on other threads. Perhaps an explanation of how Green Energy Certificates work is required. Is there a gurantee that there are only certificates available to cover the actual generated power? How is this calculated?

To partly answer my question above https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/environmental-programmes/rego/about-rego-scheme

@Ed_W if I recall correctly, a couple of years ago all of Bulb’s electricity came contracts with known generators - it was one of the reasons for me joining originally. They’re now the largest green supplier in the UK, and I expect their growth has outstripped the number of new 100% renewable generators entering the market, so they need to get the difference from the market using certificates. This is just supposition on my part.

They do still have agreements with specific generators: https://bulb.co.uk/generators/