Are you taking the piss?

My swap from British Gas has just gone through and, apart from my welcome e-mail, the only other contact is to inform me prices are going up!!??
Is this a fucking Bulb con…you fucking spivs… business is all about trust, you’ve lost mine 2 weeks in. I’ll swap back if you toss me about you back-alley PPI sellers!

My swap from British Gas has just gone through and, apart from my welcome e-mail, the only other contact is to inform me prices are going up!!?? Is this a fucking Bulb con...you fucking spivs... business is all about trust, you've lost mine 2 weeks in. I'll swap back if you toss me about you back-alley PPI sellers!

My welcome email gave me a schedule or list of dates as to when things would happen and when Bulb would further contact me.

I also received a later email after actually joining Bulb which said prices would rise.

At that time I made a rational decision whether to stay with Bulb or move and carried out my own comparison checks.

You are free to leave Bulb at any time with no exit fee. I’ve been a customer for just three months and I find them totally ethical and no con artists. If you have actually switched to Bulb any price increase wont become effective for 60 days within which period you can jump ship if you find a better deal elsewhere.

This is an open forum and the diatribe content of some your comments could be disturbing to some on here. I feel confident the Bulb team when they are back on line later today will deal with any response in a courteous way.

British gas have today announced price rises too. I have been with bulb for a few months, I think the way they handled thier price rise was exemplary. It’s unfortunate that the timing coincided with your switch but the reality is that they have one simple tariff so when it changes everyone pays the same - as a new customer you get an additional grace period I believe.

They remain one of the lowest priced providers on the market, and have been quick to drop prices in the past when the market allows.

If a guaranteed price is important to you there are multiple providers offering fixed price, fixed term contracts but in my experience you pay a premium for the certainty these provide. Don’t forget bulb charge no exit fees unlike most fixed term suppliers- you can always leave if you find a better deal for your personal circumstances.

Personally I am a massive fan of bulb, I have also made a couple of referrals which has more than offset the small increase in cost and firmly believe in thier ethos and way of doing business. They do strike me as a business that genuinely values thier customers and I am sure they would have held off on price rises as long as possible. Again, they have put them down again in the past so maybe stick with them a while and see?

@wajones Thanks for getting in touch. We published a blog yesterday explaining that the cost of energy we buy for our members’ has increased roughly 5% since June: https://bulb.co.uk/blog/wholesale-energy-market-update-august

There’s a chance that this may mean that we increase our prices in November, if the cost of energy which we buy doesn’t come back down. If this is going to happen, the price will change for everyone at Bulb at once - everyone’s on the same tariff.

We think it’s fair that the price we charge for energy reflects the cost it takes to buy it. Having a variable tariff allows us to provide our energy to members’ much closer to cost-price than if we had fixed deals. This is a reason why Bulb are, and always will be, very competitive on price.

We try to take all reasonable steps to communicate that our tariff is variable, but I’m sorry that it’s come as a surprise to you.

If the prices do change, and you’re not happy with the new ones, you can leave at any time with no charge.