Automatically and dynamically calculate cutomers Energy/Insulation efficiency.

Here is an idea:

I know (and there could be an account section where I tell you) the size of each floor of my house, construction, how many windows, Roof/cavity insulation and so on.

When I input my meter readings, you know where I live and could access historical geo-accurate weather (temp) data for my location. For any degree of external temperature, there is already a known algorithm to calculate how much heating energy is required to maintain an internal temperature of, say 20C. As the external temp drops, I need to consume more energy to maintain that internal temp and vice versa.

You could then calculate an energy efficiency rating - a 0-100 scale, where 100 is for my size of house/construction with zero heat loss and at the other end, 0 is my house without a roof or doors etc.

This would mean, that every time I input a meter reading, you can give me a personalised dynamic efficiency rating, with the bounds of what should be expected in a well insulated house. I could then see (over succesive meter readings) how any extra insulation has increased my efficiency or turning off unecessary radiators etc.

You could even turn this into a commercial opportunity and offer me discounted insulation or whatever.

For any degree of external temperature, there is already a known algorithm to calculate how much heating energy is required to maintain an internal temperature of, say 20C.
In theory if you know the exact temperature of outside and you have a forced air ventilation system with a known air displacement rate, without ever opening windows or doors you could calculate this, but I'm willing to guess that zero houses are like that! :mrgreen:

It’s something that I’ve thought about before and something that has been discussed but I think until everyone has smart meters and more real data can be gathered, it would likely to be so inaccurate as to not be at all useful.

When we get smart meters, I’m most interested in my gas use for this reason. I want to know how much of an impact one extra person in the house or one window cracked open, or more insulation has on my heating bills. That kind of data being collected by thousands of people would give a very interesting dataset for establishing the fastest and most cost effective ways to reduce gas use in most people’s homes, which suppliers could recommend to their customers.

The closest we have right now to get that kind of data is something like Salford’s Energy House (https://www.salford.ac.uk/built-environment/laboratories-and-studios/energy-house)