Average bills

I joined bulb as it said I could make the same payments in winter as in summer that way my winter bill is covered. I didn’t switch to bulb until later in the year and so I fully Expect to be in minus figures until the summer comes around. Why do they keep wanting me to top my account up. Never had this problem with utility warehouse. May have to switch back. It’s very frustrating and expensive!

On joining you would have received an email advising that you should be 1 month in advance with payments.

@Michellelee

Most likely Bulb will calculate your payments to make sure your not in minus, but if your on low income etc. you could discuss this with Bulb directly by telephone.

As per your agreement you should b in credit and never in debt unless it has been agreed with Bulb.

I would recommend you contacting Bulb on Monday to get the correct information and be able to get ahead any issue that might arise.

@Michellelee

If you switched to Bulb because they were cheaper than your previous supplier I don’t understand the logic in you switching back to them,

Can you please explain the rationale for doing this?

Some reasons why Bulb would want to increase your payments.

1. To take account of the price increase which took effect from 11 November 2018

2. When you joined Bulb I assume via a quote or comparison site it could be that your current estimated annual usage is now greater than when you did the quote?

Even after taking all this into account Bulb do expect you to pay one month in advance for your energy use.

<blockquote class="Quote" rel="Michellelee"May have to switch back. It’s very frustrating and expensive!

If you switched to Bulb because they were cheaper than your previous supplier I don’t understand the logic in you switching back to them,

1. To take account of the price increase which took effect from 11 November 2018

2. When you joined Bulb I assume via a quote or comparison site it could be that your current estimated annual usage is now greater than when you did the quote?

Even after taking all this into account Bulb do expect you to pay one month in advance for your energy use.

I do not know why you have this arrogant attitude towards this issue, people have many reasons for the dislike for this issue, and one would be disposable income; an odd occurrence in life that occurs there are some people that just can’t afford the high payments in the short term and then have to keep asking for refunds.

I do not know why you have this arrogant attitude towards this issue, people have many reasons for the dislike for this issue, and one would be disposable income; an odd occurrence in life that occurs there are some people that just can’t afford the high payments in the short term and then have to keep asking for refunds.

If your comment is directed at me, it isn’t arrogance on my part I am just advising why Bulb could be asking for an increase in Direct Debit payment and taking into account the T&C’s.

If your comment is directed at me, it isn't arrogance on my part I am just advising why Bulb could be asking for an increase in Direct Debit payment and taking into account the T&C's.

After our recent discussions relating to the T&Cs, I do have more sympathy with the OP than I may have had previously.

Essentially anyone joining Bulb at this time of year is expected to immediately top up with £200-300 in order to be fully compliant with the terms. Now in some cases that’s easily done, perhaps by simply paying in the credit refund you got from your previous supplier. Often this doesn’t seem to happen because people go “ooh windfall!” and spend it on Christmas then get into fuel debt. It would likely be better if instead of any credit balance being refunded to the consumer, it was automatically transferred across to initialise the new account at the new supplier like when switching banks. In other cases where perhaps there was little credit balance, and in cases of low income, it’s just not possible to pay in the necessary amount.

Since Bulb do not have any requirement of an initial top up when switching, or a requirement of, say, first three months at double your standard monthly payment, it’s obvious that a switch taking place in winter is going to result in an account going into debt and paid off in the summer. Until such time as Bulb officially add terms relating to initial and winter account balance that are shown and agreed by customers when they join, then Bulb need to just suck it up and stop hassling people like the OP with requests to top up.

@Hooloovoo

I don’t disagree with your sentiments as there is confusion regarding conflict between some of the T&Cs.

However is Bulb asking for an increase in the monthly DD payment of the OP for the reasons I gave earlier, i.e.

1. When you joined Bulb I assume via a quote or comparison site it could be that your current estimated annual usage is now greater than when you did the quote?

If any or both of these two reasons apply it is a quite reasonable to ask for the monthly DD to be increased.

This is totally separate to asking for an increase due to the winter/summer usage split which is what the OP assumes Bulb is requesting.

To test my hypothesis is the OP able to say if the current DD payment is more or less than the “Monthly usage” showing on the “Payments & statements” page. If the current DD payment is less than this “Monthly usage” then the account will always show in debit even when we get to the summer time.

To test my hypothesis is the OP able to say if the current DD payment is more or less than the "Monthly usage" showing on the "Payments & statements" page. If the current DD payment is less than this "Monthly usage" then the account will always show in debit even when we get to the summer time.

Agreed. Unfortunately I suspect we’ll never know because it’s just another person having a rant that will never come back.

Agreed. Unfortunately I suspect we’ll never know because it’s just another person having a rant that will never come back.

I would hope the OP will provide a response otherwise they may as well have contacted the Bulb team direct rather than via this forum.

If your comment is directed at me, it isn’t arrogance on my part I am just advising why Bulb could be asking for an increase in Direct Debit payment and taking into account the T&C’s.

yes it was directed atyou,your comment did nothing to direct the T&C or related the T&C to the OP comments.

@Michellelee

I based the association of arrogance as follows

You focus on the logic if Bulb is cheaper and your previous supplier is more expensive why are you moaning you have to pay a higher advance payment to bulb and then go on to demand an explanation for switching to a cheaper supplier, to then switch back to the expensive supplier. You failed to understand that not every one is as anal as you or most contributors to this forum or consumers about what factors effect this particular issue or keep track of energy with a very accurate degree.

While you and I maybe aware of what circumstances may be involved that is causing the issue, however, not every customer is commercial aware of such circumstances and have very different motivations on switch and how they want to pay for energy. Your failing to take into account that consumers don’t have the same knowledge or the same logic as you.

As i said you coming across as arrogant, not that your information you are giving is wrong. More of your comments are become more slightly arrogant which I assume is a results of frustration about certain questions being asked and the comments being made about Bulb that at the end of the day is unwarranted, if you are aware of the answers to the comments made. This comment goes for me and a few other people (@hoovloovoo) commenting to help the community, that our frustrations are being pushed onto the community wanting help.

Lets take the logic further, to which i am referring to about disposable income and the psychology of that individual.

Lets say I uses 12000 units of energy a year, the first supplier is charging 1p per unit with (A) and there other is charging 1.1p a unit with (B).

(A) charges a subtotal for energy use of £120.00 and requires 16% additional per year to cover future increases which is a total of £139.20 (£11.60 a Month) and (B) charges £132.00 (£11 a month).

If we review the ideology or psychology, while (A) is cheaper with price per unit it is requiring me to pay more upfront than (B), even though (B) charges me more for energy. I have a limited budget and have £11.67 a month to pay for my energy bill. So I am paying £1.60 (13.7% of the total budget) more a month than I should, and have mouths to feed including my own and I would want that £1.60 going to food than to hypothetical future energy cost. I could ask for a refund with (A) in the future but living from pay to pay, that extra £1.60 a month is far more valuable now than it is in 3-6 months time.

And remember lower income families spend 10%-12% of their income on energy compared to the more well-off pay 2%-4% of the their income to energy usage. Now obv the values are low and not today figures, but when you consider other factors like low income families pay 60% of their income to rent, that leaves 40% left; if we minus energy that is 28% of income, which is very small remaining sum to pay for every other day items and services.

What I am getting at, have a little more compensation towards customer that post on this forum about the cost of the monthly advancements and bills in general, while there maybe a failure to understand the idea of the advance payment scheme but the motives for asking and seeking help to reduce that is far more meaningful and essential to customers every day living conditions. Furthermore, I hope @bulb gets their finger out and start to help to address this fundamental issue and stop being so passive on the issue.

@JustSsavvy

Your comments are way too much for me to take in, my original comments are still valid and personally I am more than happy to justify my comments to the OP and explain the rationale behind my theory as to why Bulb could be asking for a price increase. Arrogance to one person may appear to be help to another person.

Your comments are way too much for me to take in

I believe what JustSsavvy is saying, in a very verbose way, is that is supplier A wants to charge you £80 per month, and supplier B wants to charge you £100 per month, if you’re on a low income you might well choose/need to go with supplier A even if they are actually more expensive in terms of the cost of energy.

That’s a legitimate point and shouldn’t be dismissed out of hand. This is one of the problems Bulb have with wanting to charge average monthly usage +20% or whatever to build up the buffer. Firstly to the less mathematically inclined it makes them seem more expensive, and to those on low income actually make them too expensive in terms of cashflow. Going with a more expensive company, but that is happy for your account to go negative over the winter, could well be the only way they can afford the energy. As ever, the poor end up paying more than the well off because they can’t afford to attract the better deals.

Hi all.

Thanks for your comments. We are in the process of reviewing our Ts&Cs. This can take a bit of time because we have to get through all the legal stuff first.

Your comments about Winter/Summer payments have been heard. We need to make sure we’re clear with members when they sign up and ensure that a price rise or fall is taken into consideration.

@Michellelee. If you’re on top of your payments and know that what you’re paying will cover what you use longer term, you can change both the amount and the date at any time in your online Bulb Account.

On another note, this is a public forum that gives you the opportunity to share your thoughts and discuss your opinions. And we encourage this. That said, there a few things that we won’t tolerate. One of which is personal insults.

The Community is a place where everyone should feel comfortable sharing and discussing issues, ideas and questions. You might not agree with everyone but always be polite and respect each other’s opinions.

It’s best practice to consider what impact your comment will have before responding.