Average monthly usage wrong

I have been with Bulb for 4 months, and my monthly usage has been very close to my historical usage with my previous supplier (Southern Electric). However, the average usage figure stated on my account is considerably higher than the true figure. My actual figures are:
£35.53
£29.20
£33.09
£32.62
This gives an average of £32.61. My monthly payment is £32.06, so slightly too low.
Yet, Bulb tells me my average is £35.13 and I should therefore increase my payments to £42 !!!

Not impressed. What is going on here? Is Bulb just abysmally bad at arithmetic?
I contacted Bulb but got no response.

1 Like

It could be Bulb using yearly figures averaged out.

They are trying to get you to build up credit in the summer against your higher winter use. You might find this useful - but you don’t have to do it. Just keep yourself a month in credit.

The figures I gave to Bulb before I signed up were for the period Dec 18 to May 19, so they already included the Winter period.

Hi @chris2019 ,

It’s not so much that we take each of your bills since you’ve been with us and work out the average between them. It’s that we have an Estimated Annual Consumption and then divide it by 12 months to form your average monthly consumption.

Based on your summer usage being so close to your monthly average (across all seasons) we anticipate your usage to be a little higher in winter and therefore think your payments should match this.

I hope this makes sense and do get in touch by email. There’s also some pretty handy articles like this on on our help centre: https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/360017679811-How-do-estimated-meter-readings-work-

Best

Oisin

I would like to know my Estimated Annual Consumption for both gas and electricity. If memory serves, my previous supplier(s) included this with their bills. But I can’t seem to find that information from bulb. What to do?

You get that information every month from Bulb on your monthly statement.

I would like to know my Estimated Annual Consumption for both gas and electricity. If memory serves, my previous supplier(s) included this with their bills. But I can't seem to find that information from bulb. What to do?

Assuming you have the same layout statement as me, the estimated annual electricity consumption is on page 3 of 4 and the gas is on page 4 of 4.

Bulb are overcharging me for my gas. They never respond to my emails. Phone calls are unsatisfactory and full of excuses.

I have a three bedroom house and gas bill £250 a month. In August I was charged £130. The call centre say reading is correct but I have 30 year old metre.

I want to change to a smart metre but frightened to do so with Bulb due to poor customer service.

Thinking of switching provider.

Is the gas bill based on actual readings or estimates?
If you don’t send in actual readings within the requested time frame. they will use estimates.
Are you referring to actual usage or your direct debit?

What if u don’t use your heating in winter as I rather have a blanket being on my own as do many others so putting it up just cuz it’s winter without knowing is so wrong