Big difference between monthly payment and actual bill

When I was signing up to bulb, they quoted that my energy would cost £16.73 a month for both electric and gas and this is the monthly amount which I am paying. I have just received my first bill after one month which has come to £45.64. How come there is such a huge difference (3x)? I signed up to bulb as the quote of £16.73 a month was obviously very appealing and cheaper than my current supplier but I find it very misleading and dishonest if my actual bill is going to be 3x that every month!

Hi @alex5430 , I’m not entirely sure how you received a quote of £16.73 as the standing charge alone is over £15, so it only leaves less than £2 for actual usage.

The quote is only ever meant to be used as a starting point to eventually finding a monthly payment that is suitable for you and £16.73 is obviously not going to be suitable in the long term. You only ever pay for the units of energy that you use, so your monthly payment is meant to make sure it’s covering your usage.

Based on your annual usage figures that we’ve been sent from your previous supplier, I’d recommend a monthly payment of £54/month.

Please let me know if you’d like me to make that change for you.

Cheers, Rob

Hi Rob,

I also don’t know why I received that quote as evidently it was very misleading - perhaps Bulb should investigate the accuracy of their quotes to ensure they are not deceiving customers? There must be something wrong with the system if it can produce quotes this incorrect - I understand that they are only meant to be estimates but as you said yourself it barely covers the standing charge.

I was paying £53/month with my previous supplier and they owed me over £100 at the end of the year so can I ask you to instead change the monthly payment to £40/month for now as some cost will also be absorbed by my referrals.

Thanks. Alex

Hi Alex,

Thanks for getting in touch. This is a surprising blip in our estimating system and we’ll carefully monitor future estimates going forward.

We have updated your monthly payment accordingly. Your next payment of £40 will be taken on 22 October 2017.

Please remember that you can adjust your monthly payment amount yourself on MyBulb by clicking on the ‘Change my payment details’ icon and selecting ‘Change amount’ under your current monthly payment amount.

Our new login process doesn’t require you to set up a password. All you need to do is enter your email address at https://my.bulb.co.uk/login and click ‘Email me a link to sign in’. We’ll then send you a link which will allow you direct access to your account without submitting any passwords.

As always, let us know if you have any issues.

Best,
John