Big difference in standing charge prices?

My current 2-bed property standing charge for Electricity (from 1 April 2022) is 23.76p a day.
Asked for a quote for the property I’m moving into (which is a 1-bed bungalow) and it is 44.75p per day.
Almost double. Why is that?

Which area are you moving to? Standing charges vary considerably around the country. I believe London is the cheapest, the south-west, the highest.

Thanks Anton,
I’m staying the same city. It looks like they’ve put me in PayAsYouGo. Is that why? Can I switch that?

Sorry, I don’t know the answer. I’m sure Bulb will pick up this thread and reply to you, hopefully!!

I would think the standing charge of 23.76p a day is pre 1 April whereas the charge of 44.75p is from 1 Apri , this is as the result of the new price cap. Which source says the charge 23.76p applies from 1 April?

I wish my standing charges were so low mine are 53p a day now the price has increased I’m now using £5 a day just on electricity! Before the price increase £20 used to last me just over a week on my prepayment meter now it doesn’t even last 4 days! I’ve tried to have a smart meter fitted for over 3 years and all I get is it’s not available in my area it’s a joke!

Hi @ZohreB :wave:

Thanks for getting in touch with us. If you are moving to a property in the same city then the standing charge of 23.76p you quoted is most likely pre-price change. You can double check what tariff you are on by visiting our tariff page and this will give you the most up to date and correct details.

Best,

Jen :star: