Big jump in meter reading

Evening everyone
So I was wondering if anyone could advise me
I joined bulb on 22nd Dec 2017 and gave my meter reading as XX403.
Today I have checked my meter 8th Jan 2018 and it’s XX808

The XX are still the same numbers.
So it’s jumped 405 in the space of 2 and bit weeks.

Is this normal jump? It seems quite a lot to me but it could be that it’s quite normal.

I will be doing another reading tomorrow at the same time and over the next few days.

I forgot to add. It’s a 1 bed flat that my partner and I live in.

Hi @LawRam, I presume this is an electricity meter reading?

Do you have gas central heating?
405kWh does seem high for that short a period of time if you do.

If you don’t then that seems completely reasonable. Electric heating is very expensive in comparison to gas.

Hey. No we don’t have central heating. Our heating isn’t working at the moment so we have little radiator on in the front room for a couple of hours just to warm it up.
Is this maybe worth having someone to come out and check Our meter?

Hey.
It is just electric yes. We do not use gas

Hi @LawRam, I doubt it’s worth having someone out to check your meter yet until you’ve performed a few more sanity checks yourself.

I’m unsure as to the exact figure but if no fault is found, you would be struck with a bill probably £100 or so:

3.6. If you ask us to test the accuracy of your meter, you must pay us an amount to cover the cost of the work being carried out. We’ll tell you what this amount is at the time, and we’ll provide a breakdown of the costs if you ask us for one. If the National Measurement Office decides that the meter is operating outside of the statutory limits, we’ll refund the payment to you.
I believe the standard procedure is to install a secondary calibrated meter before your meter, and as standard meter replacements are normally around £100 so that's probably a good ballpark figure for the costs that might be involved.

Is the radiator connected into a standard socket (in which case it’ll almost certainly be 3KW) or hardwired into the wall (where it could be a higher power)?

Call it 18 days, 405kWh. Say you run a 3kW heater in the living room on average for 4 hours a day (not unreasonable with the cold weather we’ve had), that would be 216kW of your 405kW.
That’d make your monthly usage about 250-300kWh excluding your heating which is not unreasonable. Mine last month was over 300kWh and I have gas central heating.

Set top boxes (especially old ones; have you ever felt how hot they get?), large TVs, older appliances, and electric cooking appliances could all also be culprits for higher than expected usage.

You might want to consider something like a plug in power meter (example) to use to test the consumption of various appliances in your house.
Or alternatively, if your meter is accessible in the flat, maybe something to monitor the whole house consumption yourself (example).

The meter is in the cupboard. I am right in thinking it’s the one I read the numbers from, with the disk?

Yep, that’s the one. Something like this?

Another thing that hasn’t been mentioned is hot water - do you have a hot water tank with an immersion heater? They’re quite heavy on consumption.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is hot water - do you have a hot water tank with an immersion heater? They're quite heavy on consumption.
Very good point. That and potentially an electric shower.

One positive thing however is that because you’re only using electricity, all of your energy is 100% renewable (unlike those of us with some dirty gas).

@LawRam

I would say that your usage seems pretty standard for a electricity only property during the coldest time of the year.

Ofgem average use for your meter type is 4100 kWh, which is around 11 kWh a day.

You would use probably half of your energy usage during the 3 winter months, so that would be about 23 kWh a day.

So 16 days * 23 kWh is 365 kWh total, which isn’t too far from your usage mentioned.

Keep an eye on your immersion heater settings, make sure you’re not wasting energy by heating your water too long.

Cheers,
Rob