Bill confusion …

Had a smart meter fitted which is very useful to see how much gas and electric we are using each day / week / month.
Each month we are using circa £50.00 / £60.00 however my monthly bills are over £100.00!
Would appreciate speaking to someone at bulb about this because obviously there is something very wrong. It’s also impossible to get hold of someone at Bulb so having to result to this message and praying for a response.
(No response from chat / no phone numbers etc)

Hi @Samrowley :wave:

Sorry you haven’t been able to get in touch with the team. Happy to answer your questions. I’ve just sent you an email so we can discuss the payments further.

Thanks,
Cara :sunny:

Hi Cara,

Thank you for your email.

As per my message - my smart meter says that we are generating costs or circa £50 - £60.00 per month, however my monthly bills are still over £100.00 per month.

Please can you look into my account and help me understand why this is? And I suspect help to arrange a refund?

Thanks I’m advance

Sam

Hi Cara,

Thank you for your note and also for looking into this.

I’m pleased to see that there was indeed an error on my account and thank you for reimbursing my account for the past 2 months of overcharging. However if you look at my history I’ve been making instalments for over £100.00 since June, so please can you look into these months also?

Re the returned credit on my account - I’d be grateful if you can arrange a refund to my card instead please. Kindly confirm that this has been done.

Finally - please can you confirm that moving forward I will only be charged for the amount of gas and electric that I am using (ie what it says on my smart meter) and not the generic gestimates that keep appearing on my bulb account?

Kind regards

Sam

You’ve been paying over £100 each month since June so this has resulted in you building up credit which I can see you’re aware of. At Bulb we take payment in advance, so we require enough credit in your account to cover next month’s payment, but we can refund any credit after this.

As we move into the winter months your usage is likely to increase so I would advise changing your payments to £90 which is your estimated usage, so then we could refund £50.69.

Let me know if you want me to proceed with this?

– Meg :bulb:

Hi Megan,

Thanks for your note.

Ok, so just to confirm - are you suggesting that your refund me £50.69 to my bank card and the use the remaining £90.00 of credit to pay next months bill?

Kindly clarify.

Kind regards

Sam

Hi @Samrowley

So yeah we’d refund £50.69 to the account your direct debit comes from, leaving £90 credit in your account. Then going forwards your monthly payments would be £90.

Hi Megan,

Ok, I’m happy to receive the refund to my card and then leave the £90.00 credit on my account for future bills.

Just on the future bulls - how can you be so sure that my next bill will be £90.00? Rather than just taking £90.00 from my account I’d rather wait to see what my smart meter says we’ve actually used if that’s ok? Surely that’s why we’ve had it fitted?

Kind regards

Sam

Hi @Samrowley

I’ve just processed that refund for you, it should take 3-5 working days to come through.

With your payments, your estimated monthly usage going forward is £90. That’s the figure we get if we take your yearly usage and divide by 12. By setting your payments at that amount, you are able to pay the same amount each month. This builds up credit for the winter when your statements are higher.

Alternatively, we can switch you to pay on receipt, which means your direct debit will remain, however each month we will only take your statement amount. You would need to make sure the statement amount could be covered each month as a late payment fee could apply if the payment fails.

Would this be of interest to you ?

Ele :bulb:

Hi Eleanor,

Thanks for your note and for taking the time to explain everything below.

Let’s stick to the £90.00 direct debit and see how we get on.

Kind regards

Sam

I’ve got that updated for you so you’ll be paying £90 from the 28th October.

Let me know if there’s anything else we can help with?