Bill

I only moved into my property a few months ago and normally submit meter readings. My fixed DD of £70 normally covers anything due. I was sent an email after my most recent meter reading that I submitted saying Bulb wouldn’t require another meter reading for the next 3 months. I then received an email one night at around 7pm when on my way home from work asking for a reading by the end of that day which I felt was rather short notice. Unfortunately by the time I got home other things took my attention and I forgot to submit a reading. Bulb have now “estimated” our usage at over £80 despite us using less lighting and less heating due to a mild February, and February is also a short month. So now my DD hasn’t covered the amount “due” so I’m not very happy. It feels like Bulb are at it if I’m honest. We have made a conscious effort to use less energy and Bulb have punished us for not submitting a meter reading despite advising they wouldn’t need one for 3 months, and then only asking for one with a few hours of a day remaining. Really doesn’t sit well with me.

Bulb require at least a reading every 3 months, if you do not submit monthly which they recommend and do send reminder emails, If you do not submit on time they will use estimates as they have no other choice.
Bulb are not at it rather your failure to submit on time is causing the issues.

@Jmlbulb

If you are absolutely certain you haven’t used anywhere near the estimated energy usage then I wouldn’t worry too much as things will even out when you submit future readings and unless you feel so inclined leave your DD at its current level.

Personally I think Bulb suggesting in their emails that “Another reading in about 3 months would be ideal to keep things shipshape.” is perhaps sending out the wrong message. I send regular monthly meter readings in the time frame suggested in their email reminders unless I have to submit it earlier due to holidays, this was my bills are more shipshape than if I send a reading every three months.

I was in the same boat as you in that this month I was only given one day to submit my meter readings which I made sure I met.

Bulb require at least a reading every 3 months, if you do not submit monthly which they recommend and do send reminder emails, If you do not submit on time they will use estimates as they have no other choice. Bulb are not `at it` rather your failure to submit on time is causing the issues.

I accept I did not submit one on time, however I wasn’t given any reminder since the message advising a reading every 3 months would be sufficient. The only reminder I got was on the “deadline day” so to speak at around 7pm, which I feel is short notice. And can you not see my point that it appears on the face of it that they have deliberately estimated higher due to not receiving a reading? Based on what? Previous usage wouldn’t suggest the amount they have estimated, nor does the fact it has been milder and lighter conditions. Anyway, I accept I am new to all of this so I’m learning as I go. I’ll see what happens next month when I submit a meter reading.

There may well have been short notice as someone else mentioned that, however normally you have a 2 day window on receiving the email.
The estimates are not necessarily based on the current month but may use historical records from the national database.
That aside it wont affect your payments as that has been set, they may suggest from time to time to up the DD but if you are in control then you can adjust the DDs within your account as long as you retain 1 months advance payment.
Your next readings will balance out and bring you back on track.

Hi @Jmlbulb,

We ask our members to submit meter reading at least every three months just to make sure that our estimates are correct. As @scrudo mentioned we do recommend submitting monthly meter readings if you want to make sure your statements are accurate. Either way, we’ll correct our estimates in line with your meter reading whenever you can get it to us. It’s also always good to know that you’ll only ever pay for what you use so if that’s less than our estimates we’ll re-credit your account the difference.

We send out a payment reminder email about 3 days before your next payment just to remind you. You can also submit meter readings through this email, if you make sure to submit it within a few days we’ll use that to create your monthly statement. In your case it sounds like the email might be a bit out of line so I’ll take a look at this for you.

I’ve sent you a message so I can take a look at your account for you.

Thanks,
Pollyanna