Billed as imperial on smart meter

Hi, we had a smart meter installed when with Scottish Power just over a year ago and then made the decision to join Bulb. At the time of switching over there was multiple issues linking the gas meter serial to the one on the national data base.

Bulb sorted this issue and all was good, since then our gas bills have almost doubled in size, I put this down to the weather but realised something wasn’t right with them, we only use a Baxi boiler (A rated) and nothing else and it’s only on for a max of 4 hours per day.

I discovered yesterday after getting another massive gas bill (£230) for one month gas use that Bulb are billing me based on the old imperial meter and using the conversion on the bill to work out the cost. This obviously isn’t correct as newer meters measure useage on cubic meters not cubic feet.

I estimate I will be owed hundreds in over payments since we moved to Bulb and maybe even a refund from Scottish Power.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

Thanks

@ste2ko, I’ve heard of this happening before. I’d give Bulb a ring to get it updated and see what they can refund to you. There should be no issue with them refunding the difference from when you joined up until now as it was a fault of them/the industry rather than yourself.

I wouldn’t say this is a common problem, but I know it happens sufficiently often that it was one of the things I specifically checked for when my old imperial meter was replaced. In my case Scottish Power got it right - I suppose they must get it right at some point.

@ste2ko, I've heard of this happening before. I'd give Bulb a ring to get it updated and see what they can refund to you. There should be no issue with them refunding the difference from when you joined up until now as it was a fault of them/the industry rather than yourself.

I’ve spoken to Bulb and they said they will aim to adjust over a years worth of bills and then credit the amount back, according to information I’ve found online Ofgem have said companies will need to refund all over payments plus interest and pay an inconvenience payment. Bulb to there credit have been very helpful and said they aim to get it sorted within 4 weeks.