billing

so i just switched and was wondering something.

i sent bulb meter reading on 13th sept and switched on 18th sept
i noticed starting reading is the one i gave on 13th so ill be billed from the 13th but didnt switch until the 18th so that means ill be paying for 5 days electricity from 13th to 18th that i already paid old supplier for on pre payment meter doesnt seem right to have pay for those 5 days again and not from the 18th when i switched

support on here is slower than a 1 legged dog

Hi @leewilson : this is more a ‘customer community forum’ where we try to help each other (but occasionally Bulb staff do ‘pop in’). If you want a reply from Bulb themselves, you’ll need to contact them directly on https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115001240291-How-can-I-get-in-touch-with-Bulb- .

I know on ‘credit’ (i.e. pay monthly by direct debit) the ‘closing meter’ read is received by Bulb and then sent to the old provider who then raises a new bill and issues a refund in due course (so the 13-18th illustration will be refunded by them). However, I don’t know how it works with pre-paid/key/card meters: if there is credit on your old card/key, you should be able to keep using it until it ‘runs out’ (that’s my understanding, but I’ve never had/used a pre-pay meter before).

im not pre payment now on bulb but i was before switch so i had top it up to last till 18th when switched but bulb charge from 13th reading so looks like ill double pay for those 5 days never mind only about £4/5 as use about £1 a day electric

im not pre payment now on bulb but i was before switch so i had top it up to last till 18th when switched but bulb charge from 13th reading so looks like ill double pay for those 5 days never mind only about £4/5 as use about £1 a day electric

Quite simply, Bulb will charge you for the energy used from the day of the switch (i.e. 18 September) and will based on the reading you sent them on 13 September. Your previous supplier will charge you for the energy used up to the day of your switch and will use the same reading to work out their final bill to you. You will not be double charged for the use of the same ebnergy.

It all explained on Bulbs page : https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/360000313371-Why-is-my-old-supplier-still-charging-me-

Just for clarity I assume you prepayment meter was changed either by Bulb or your previous supplier?

its a smart meter so it changed from pre payment to monthly on 18th although i know its no longer smart with bulb and not accurate any longer.

Hi @leewilson that’s a bit of an annoying one. We asked for the reading on the 13th as the way we all work (as suppliers) is to take a reading from anywhere within 5 days of the switchover and use it as the changeover reading, since we all know that people might not necessarily be able to get to their meters on the switch date. Since the reading we open on is the same one as the old supplier have on record, it’s quite tricky to change-but since you were on prepay with them they might be happy to change your final reading over, if they hear from you asking them to change it. If they are happy to change, let us know and we’ll get in touch with them ‘officially’ to change the reading over, then you won’t have been double charged. A related note-if there was any credit left on your meter when you switched over, the old supplier is sometimes happy to refund it, if you send them a photo of the meter saying how much credit is left on there (it shouldn’t have changed since the day we took over).

i didnt take any readings or pics on 18th its fine id rather not contact them probs cost me triple what id get refunded to call them and be on hold for an hour or 2 and the meter did change the day of switch it has changed from pre payment showing the amount of credit on it but id ran it down was maybe 80p credit left on it and its now showing an estimated bill now but it shows old suppliers tariff and details so obviously just ignoring the electric display now.

hoping these bulb smart meters will be ready soon as I’m used to having one for the last 4+ years so if there is a list please put me on it :slight_smile:

Hi @leewilson Sent you an invite for the smart meter trial list :slight_smile:

thanks @“Ben at Bulb” but when i click link in email to fill form in i get the following from google docs.
Sorry, the file you have requested does not exist.

Hi @leewilson not ideal here’s another link it was working a few seconds ago when I checked it :slight_smile: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSey31A6uvCg03zwfsk6OLGBL_JWR9rceGIG85PqHiJYG31JUA/viewform

@“David at Bulb” thanks ben resent link other day in an email which i filled out