Bills over 3x times increase in 1 month

I’m a little confused because my electric bill gone up this month to £100, and that is just for a 1 person flat. I don’t understand how it can increase so much in little time.
I did submit a meter reading just more than 3 days before my bill, but im wondering if the meter reading could be wrong for it to increase so much, OR if this is actually normal for winter
(first time paying for my own bills, any advice would be great)

Firstly check your meter reading,(presuming you don’t have gas C/H) The last few weeks have been exceptionally cold and damp, even a small electric fire is ravenous in its consumption of energy. I would also advise sending your readings not more than one or two days before your bill date rather than three or four. Hope this helps a bit

1 Like

Is this the first reading you’ve submitted for a few months?

Thank you, annoyingly I have to phone my building company to get better readings I cant check myself. But I will keep all this in mind and submit only 1 or 2 days before

Yes it was the first one since August

Your three previous bills (September, October, November) will have been estimated. This means they guess what your usage is likely to be, and that guess varies from wildly under to wildly over the actual usage. Your estimates have been under your actual usage, and so when you gave actual readings in December that bill will have caught up with your actual usage and all the previous under-billing appears in one month.

This ought to be fairly obvious from logical reasoning. If you receive three bills based on estimates and haven’t given an actual reading, then those bills are pretty much meaningless. They’re just guesses.

There’s a quote from Charles Babbage, from the early years of computing,

On two occasions I have been asked, ‘Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?’ I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

I don’t really understand the point of issuing monthly estimated bills. From posts on this forum and others, it does nothing but provoke confusion. Back when I was with Scottish Power, the standard was to issue statements quarterly by default but still take payments monthly. If you submitted a meter reading, then that caused a bill to be produced. So if you submitted monthly meter readings then you got monthly statements, but if you didn’t then it just got left until the next quarter rolled around. You could of course still get estimated bills each quarter, but people seemed to understand those were estimates when it happened. These days with monthly bills people seem to assume they’re correct regardless of whether they’ve submitted meter readings or not.