British Gas Smart-Meter

Hi. Been with Bulb for nearly a year now. When will Bulb be able to communicate with my smart meters that British Gas installed “Previous Supplier” ? They looks pretty modern with a separate communication unit for WAN connection.

Thank you.

Hi @Atomfix - welcome to the Bulb community! :partying_face:

I’ve taken a look at your account and it looks like you have first generation (SMETS1) smart meters. These meters are gradually being enrolled with the centralised smart network, and once this happens your meter should become ‘smart’ again - so your meter will be compatible with all suppliers and transmit readings automatically once again.

These meters are being enrolled in batches, so you’ll receive an email once this happens for your meter. We’re expecting this process to be complete by the end of this year. In the meantime, you should be able to send us manual readings by following the instructions here.

Hi my mother in law has a old British Gas smart meter which I cannot get a reading out from nor can a meter reader guy who tried. Bulb in there wisdom want me to drive 20 miles press a button on video to prove the meter is faulty well if the meter guy can’t then I can’t as tried before. Bulb customer service is crap she’s a 77 year old on the priority list paying electric with no meter readings. I have told bulb I am enjoying slagging them off On social media any way we are both leaving soon. S they are not bothered

Hi @Smartie91

We do try and install smart meters wherever possible. If there is already a smart meter at the property we can usually connect to it which is why we’d only replace it if faulty- we do need to obtain proof that its faulty. If you had a meter reader attend who couldn’t read it they should be able to give a report about that- did they leave that at all?

Alternatively a quick video showing the meter screen to be faulty is great as we then pass that over to our metering team to investigate.

I’m sorry that its difficult to get the video, perhaps a neighbour or someone who lives closer can help her take the video? Once we have that we can replace it no problem :slight_smile:

Seams we are flogging a dead horse. Easier to leave
Octopus said they will change. If I go over to them. That’s 2 customes your will have lost and a lot of negative comments.

Your choice