British Gas Smart Meters

So why not publish some standard instructions about meter readings from Smart Meters? To save every new customer asking the same question!

Hi @rallyerick, thanks for your suggestion! We really value our customer feedback and we are working on a compiled FAQ for smart meters that new customers can refer to. Watch this space B)

As I swap to you on the 28th of this month, it is of some urgency!

@rallyerick, a reading anytime between now and the 2nd of February will be fine as we can use them for your opening reading.

For the gas meter, you need to first turn on the screen using the red button. As soon as it reads ‘credit on’ press the red button again until it shows ‘meter index’ and this is the reading you will need to send to us. For the electric, press the green ‘A’ button and use the same button to step through displays until you get to ‘TOTAL ACT IMPORT’ where you will see the reading you need for electricity.

If you continue to have problems, just email a picture to us at help@bulb.co.uk and we’ll get back to you with an answer. As previously mentioned, we are looking to have a compiled list of different smart meters and how to read them.

And would be it too much to ask what the procedure is for an Electricity reading?

@rallyerick, of course not! For the electric, it would be a matter of pressing the green ‘A’ button and then using the same button to keep going through displays until you see the words ‘TOTAL ACT IMPORT’ and a reading. I put this in my previous message but I realise that it wasn’t spaced out so clearly. If this still doesn’t work, just message me back here, I agree that smart meters are quite confusing to read!

@rallyerick, sorry for not getting back to you sooner! If you follow the link below you will find instructions on how to read British Gas smart meters. If you continue to have problems, just email a picture to us at help@bulb.co.uk and we’ll get back to you with an answer.As previously mentioned, we are looking to have a compiled list of different smart meters and how to read them.

https://britishgas.co.uk/help-and-advice/Meters-meter-readings/Smart-Meters/getting-and-using-smart-meters/How-do-I-take-a-reading-from-my-gas-and-electric-smart-meters.html

@rallyerick, sorry for not getting back to you sooner! If you follow the link below you will find instructions on how to read British Gas smart meters. If you continue to have problems, just email a picture to us at help@bulb.co.uk and we’ll get back to you with an answer.As previously mentioned, we are looking to have a compiled list of different smart meters and how to read them.

https://britishgas.co.uk/help-and-advice/Meters-meter-readings/Smart-Meters/getting-and-using-smart-meters/How-do-I-take-a-reading-from-my-gas-and-electric-smart-meters.html