Broken Meter How do I get a replacement one

Anyone had this problem and know how to resolve it?
My wife and I are both in our 70s and on basic pension. We are managing to keep up with the increased payments but only just.
Our problem is the gas meter, last read on 21st Sept 2021 since then every gas reading has been an estimate. We both have bad eyesight and asked a friend to read the meter in Jan this year. He told us that the screen was blank and it was impossible to read it. A second person confirmed this. I informed bulb who asked for photographs and a video of the meter. After a lot of hassle this was sent to them.
They replied with a long list of questions access, do we own a dog etc: I replied. I was then informed it would be passed to the meter dept. They got in touch and said Siemens who were responsible would be in touch asap. They emailed me with a date in April to fit a smart meter. 2 weeks later they cancelled the date and said it would be 6th May. 3 weeks later they cancelled that and said they would be in touch. Never heard any more from them so contacted bulb who wanted me to go through the same rigmarole all over again photos and video of meter.
Told them that I have already done that. Still waiting for a reply.
What I would like to know is when if ever they are going to fix this and when fixed how do I know how much gas I have used since 21st Sept last year, and will they base the use on the current gas prices.
We are both very worried about this as we have very little savings to fall back on if we are presented with a large bill. Any one got any ideas on the way forward?

If they choose to estimate how much you’ve used, they’ll calculate it to 31 03 22 using the old price and then the new price from 01 04 22. Your main issue will be how much they think you’ve used!!!

Anton59

Thank you for your reply. They have based the payments up to now on estimates of use from the year before. I don’t have a problem with that as our circumstances have not changed much. I would just like to know when they will get round to replacing the meter then we can take it up with them after they present us with the bill.

1 Like

Bulb need to close down completely as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
I am 72 years old have turned off gas heating and all electrics including TV as i now cannot afford the bills and neighbours have to read meters as i cannot, they managed to fix the electric smart meter but the gas meter does not work. We are paying a lot of money for meter charges that do not work and we have to read them it’s about time we started charging them for doing their job but when you cannot find out who owns bulb in what country answers a lot of questions but when things settle down they will lose a lot of customers.

Don’t pay any estimated bills as they are a guess.
If the local metering equipment is defective then usage can not be calculated the meter is the only device calibrated to measure gas or electric and if as you say is blank/faulty then from that date your energy supplier will be responsible to replace the faulty unit and no charge can be applied or guessed while the meter is not working.
I would recommend cancelling your direct debit and paying via meter readings only .
Smart meter and app readings since April 1st should be ignored as they don’t collaborate with local meter usage.
If you feel the metering equipment is now not a accurate device ….suspend all payments and demand an on site meter calibration that will require bulb and an independent technician to attend your property.

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 applies not that Bulb take much notice of it. That states faults should be dealt with promptly and that consumer should not be unduly unconvinced . That generally means no more than 30 days. They get one change to fix the problem

If you have notified Bulb that the meter is faulty and cannot be read then Bulb cannot back bill you for more than 12 months. It is irrelevant as to whether they have resounded or not. Make sure you keep copies of any correspondence sent to Bulb.

You also have the option of going to the Energy Ombudsman if the issue is not dealt with withing 8 weeks. There is also the option of taking Bulb to the Small Claims court.

For what reason would you use the small claims court? I don’t see how that would help.

Hi @Manualfinder :wave:

I am sorry to hear about the issues you’ve had while trying to get your faulty gas meter exchanged. I can see that a meter exchange has recently happened at your property and so everything should be up and running again.

If you are concerned about the estimates used for your gas then we can track your usage over the next 2-3 months to backdate what the readings should have been before the tariff increase in April and before your meter exchange.

Let me know if you have any questions about this,

– KT :bulb:

Hi @patjune50 :wave:

I have taken a look at your account and can see the electricity meter is sending regular smart readings.

The gas smart readings have stopped working and I can see you have been submitting manual readings instead, with these we know the billing will be accurate. We are working on updating the way we communicate with your type of smart meters, the elec has already been updated but the gas has not. Hopefully, when the gas communications system is updated we will be able to start receiving smart readings again.

I am sorry for any inconvenience caused by this.

– KT :bulb: