Bulb Cannot install Smart meters because Electric Lines are not compatible - is this a Joke

I have been told by the Bulb representatives, that my house has a 1st generation Smart meter and they have difficulties connecting to my 1st generation Smart meter.
then I asked them if that is the case, bulb can install the latest Smart meter that they could connect to…
the reply i get…
Bulb cannot install the latest smart meter as my electric lines are not compatible.
My neighbours with another Energy supply got new smart meters installed.
How can electic lines be the reason of them not to install Smart Meters??
I have been getting high consumption for no reason, and as a result, my bills are gone so high as 21 kWH a day from 7 kWh a day etc…
Can anybody verigy please if what they are saying is true, can electric lines be the reason for them not to install the latest smart meters??

Thanks

I think the Bulb policy is that if you’ve got a first generation smart meter then they won’t replace it with a second generation meter because they should be able to read SMETS1 meters in due course. I’ve no idea about the compatibility of the electricity lines but it doesn’t sound right.

I have recently bought an electric vehicle and have a SMETS1 meter which is not compatible. Bulb will not upgrade it to the type 2 meter, saying that they are still testing the system, which I think is BS! The real problem is due to their financial circumstances they are not prepared to spend the money upgrading. I paid £5000 over the cost of buying a standard petrol/diesel car plus an additional £1800 upgrading my consumer units in my house and garage for what purpose? to pay 30+ per Kw as opposed to 7p on the off peak rate. COME ON BULB, GET A GRIP or I am off to another supplier.

The issue is the migration of SMETS1 meters to the DCC network. You’ll find more details on the SmartDCC website but here’s an extract:

"When will my meter be migrated?

Unfortunately, the DCC is unable to provide consumers with exact dates for the migration of their meters. DCC and energy companies are working together to ensure the SMETS1 Enrolment & Adoption Programme is completed by the end of 2022. If there is a problem with migrating your meters, your energy supplier will arrange for second generation (SMETS2) meters to be installed"

I have been told by the Bulb representatives, that my house has a 1st generation Smart meter and they have difficulties connecting to my 1st generation Smart meter.
then I asked them if that is the case, bulb can install the latest Smart meter that they could connect to…
the reply i get…
Bulb cannot install the latest smart meter as my electric lines are not compatible.
My neighbours with another Energy supply got new smart meters installed.
How can electic lines be the reason of them not to install Smart Meters??
I have been getting high consumption for no reason, and as a result, my bills are gone so high as 21 kWH a day from 7 kWh a day etc…
Can anybody verigy please if what they are saying is true, can electric lines be the reason for them not to install the latest smart meters??

Thanks

Hi @ed_tr :wave: I’ve merged these two posts together as the content is similar for both, I hope you don’t mind.

These older smart meters would have dropped off the smart network when they were switched away from the supplier that originally installed them.

We’ve been working to get these older meters connected and migrated to the new smart network, and we’ll let you know once everything’s connected.

Once both the meters are online, you won’t need to submit manual reads as we’ll get them automatically from the meters but for now we’ll need to continue taking manual reads.

I can see you’ve been in touch with one of my colleagues over email so feel free to reply on that thread, or let us know if you have any other questions below :point_down:

Best,
Ollie :musical_note: