Bulb Smart Meter - not so smart after all?

I’ve had the Bulb Smart meter installed, but it’s not smart?

The small display showing our usage doesn’t work, and the meters apparently can’t communicate with the radio signal and so can’t submit meter readings.

Overall a complete waste of time and effort.

The smart meter I had before from British Gas worked brilliantly until I switched to Bulb, I still don’t know why Bulb couldn’t use that?

What’s going on here and when will Bulb resolve these issues?

having the same problem no display can’t communicate no radio signal display is frozen this needs to be resolved

Hi @David_Anstee and @johntib, thanks for getting in touch. Unfortunately we have identified a fault with some In-Home Displays that is preventing members from reading their meter. This is a really high priority for Bulb and I can assure you that we are on the case.

To help us, please could you send a photo of your In-Home Display to help@bulb.co.uk and describe the problems you are having? We are wanting to collect examples of this to for our smart team to analyse, and we can let you know once your issue is resolved.

Let me know if you have anymore questions about this in the meantime.

I just had mine installed today and so far nothing is working. How can I tell if it has this problem or if it is just taking a while to start working?

Same here. How long should it normally take for the display to start showing something? I would have imagined it would be more or less instantaneous.

Hi @David_Anstee and @johntib, thanks for getting in touch. Unfortunately we have identified a fault with some In-Home Displays that is preventing members from reading their meter. This is a really high priority for Bulb and I can assure you that we are on the case.

To help us, please could you send a photo of your In-Home Display to help@bulb.co.uk and describe the problems you are having? We are wanting to collect examples of this to for our smart team to analyse, and we can let you know once your issue is resolved.

@“William at Bulb” Thanks for the reply, I have sent across photos as you suggested.

In the mean time, how do I submit meter readings? The meters themselves do not appear to have a measure, and the IHD is useless.

Hi @“William at Bulb” - I’ve got an installation booked in for the 21st March and issues with the smart meters not working seem to be a common issue on your community. Is it a very widespread issue? I’m considering cancelling my installation booking and seeing how this pans out.

In the mean time, how do I submit meter readings? The meters themselves do not appear to have a measure, and the IHD is useless.
The electricity meter should cycle through import and export readings automatically, and the gas meter you'll just have to press a button to get the reading to display (if I remember correctly it's the 'A' button but it tells you what to do on the unit itself).

If the electricity meter is for some reason on another screen, it depends on whether you got a Landis+Gyr or an EDMI meter as to how you navigate the screens/menu.

@mowcius - I have pressed the A button and flicked through the various displays, but I can’t see one with a number that looks to be the meter reading, and it is anything but intuitive.

Also I am just an everyday home owner, not an electrical engineer so I honestly couldn’t tell you what technical stuff I have, all I know is it’s a white meter :slight_smile:

Also I am just an everyday home owner, not an electrical engineer so I honestly couldn’t tell you what technical stuff I have, all I know is it’s a white meter :-)

I don’t think you need to be an electrical engineer to read the make and model off the white box? :slight_smile:

@David_Anstee, try https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115001232832-How-do-I-read-my-meter-

“This is a really high priority for Bulb and I can assure you that we are on the case.“

No you’re not, I had a meter installed last week 26th Sept 19, and I have the same issue so that’s 6 months later and you are still installing fault meters.

Hope they do better in the USA than in the UK!

1 Like

I appreciate you are having a terrible time with your smart meter as you have mentioned it on a multitude of threads. I haven’t followed it sufficiently but if Bulb are that bad what is preventing you moving to another supplier?

I notice you just deleted another thread entitled Lies etc, if I felt that bad about Bulb I would have moved by now.

Luckily in my 20 months or so with Bulb I haven’t had one problem, perhaps lack of smart meters has helped?

1 Like