Bye bye direct debit to Bulb

Logging into Bulb, the last month my “Energy Usage” graph had any info in was in May. It’s now August. I’m yet another customer who had a “smart” meter fitted specifically so I wouldn’t have estimated readings and would only pay Bulb for the energy I had actually used. That was 3 months ago, and I’m sorry, if your systems (and I work in IT) are so sh*t that they can’t process data within 3 months then YOU SHOULDN’T BE FITTING THEM.

When my IHD has worked, it shows me using 1/3 of what my monthly bills are. Yes, I know it’s the summer, but even so - my electricity usage bar light bulbs doesn’t change in the summer, and with all bulbs LEDs I’ve obviously been overpaying and am well in credit.

So - I’m cancelling my DD until such time as my “smart” meters actually work. No, I ain’t going to give you meter readings from them, sorry. I’m £300 in credit right now so that should keep me going until either you fix your systems or I lose all patience and move elsewhere.

This, Bulb, as a project manager, is what you should be doing:

Every week, PUBLISH the number of smart meters not working. TELL us what is being done to fix them. STOP fitting any more until the backlog of faulty meters is cleared. We want hard facts not PR nonsense. This Smart meter debacle has turned “advocates” of your brand into people like me who now would actively tell friends and family - don’t go with Bulb. You’ve screwed your brand. The MD should be on this forum, take ownership, and show us changes being delivered.

This, Bulb, as a project manager, is what you should be doing:

Every week, PUBLISH the number of smart meters not working. TELL us what is being done to fix them. STOP fitting any more until the backlog of faulty meters is cleared. We want hard facts not PR nonsense. This Smart meter debacle has turned “advocates” of your brand into people like me who now would actively tell friends and family - don’t go with Bulb. You’ve screwed your brand. The MD should be on this forum, take ownership, and show us changes being delivered.

I have deliberately decided not to have smart meters so perhaps I can be somewhat smug, but having said that I totally agree with your sentiments from my previous life as a project manager and and also as a quality management manager.

It isn’t at all obvious the issue of the problems surrounding smart meters is being owned by one or other of the two company leaders.

I feel sorry for the Bulb team members who have to front the issues on this Community forum and also the Bulb Facebook page.

why feel sorry? The directors could stop installing them for the sake of customer service, take the finanacial penalty hit, but … less dividends for the directors and returns for their private equity investors

I'm cancelling my DD until such time as my "smart" meters actually work.

I am sympathetic with your position, but the above is simply a direct route to a trashed credit file due to missed payments. I suggest you reconsider your direct action to something that isn’t going to be detrimental to your financial history. Perhaps simply reduce the direct debit down to the minimum allowed and ignore any requests to increase it?

why feel sorry?

Quite simply the reason I feel sorry for the front Bulb team members because they have to take the flack and politely answer queries here because what seems to be the inability of the higher echelons to get to grip with the issue surrounding smart meters.

I wasn’t aware the directors are receiving a dividend where did you get you information from?

So - I'm cancelling my DD until such time as my "smart" meters actually work. No, I ain't going to give you meter readings from them, sorry. I'm £300 in credit right now so that should keep me going until either you fix your systems or I lose all patience and move elsewhere.
@xtrapnel This does not sound like a good idea. I would say the best way to reclaim your £300 is to move to another supplier. The law on switching supplier is strong and Bulb will be forced to take the readings from your new supplier and refund you your £300.

Getting the smart meters working is another thing, I don’t think there is much Bulb can do to get one fixed at the present time. There are many points of failure. I’m not expecting mine to work until next year.

The law on switching supplier is strong and Bulb will be forced to take the readings from your new supplier.

Where do you get your information that Bulb will be forced to take the readings from your new supplier?

Where do you get your information that Bulb will be forced to take the readings from your new supplier?

He means the switching process. Give your opening readings to the new supplier, and Bulb will be “forced” to accept them as closing readings. I know there is a dispute process, but if Bulb currently have no readings at all then what is there to dispute?

He means the switching process. Give your opening readings to the new supplier, and Bulb will be “forced” to accept them as closing readings. I know there is a dispute process, but if Bulb currently have no readings at all then what is there to dispute?

I’m still unclear what happens in these circumstances, in the normal course of events there is a defined OFGEM requirement for both suppliers to agree the reading otherwise a reading will will be imposed on both suppliers. I was challenging the assertion that the readings supplied to the new energy supplier must be accepted by the old supplier.

Perhaps Bulb can clarify the particular situation of possible non working smart meters.