Can i go back to ordinary meters

to the community, can anyone tell me can I have the smart meters removed and go back to ordinary ones ?

You can if you have got deep pockets

You can’t because there’s now a shortage of traditional digital meters since no one makes them any more. Bulb (and I’d guess other suppliers too) are holding what stock is left for emergencies only, in cases where a smart meter cannot be fitted for whatever reason.

Oh crap, I guess i’ll just have to pay then and get my own engineer in to try and sort it out. Thanks for the reply

Out of interest what do you mean when you say you will get your own engineer to sort it out?

1 Like

You can’t do that either. Your meters are the property of the supplier. It’s illegal for you, or anyone else, to do anything with them.

1 Like

Which I believe is deliberate to force the smart meter installations upon us. there must be thousands that could be re commissioned if there was the will to do so.

Far more likely down to scales of economy, everything from housing injection molds to assembly line tooling, often producing only hundreds or even low thousands of these kinds of units is not profitable for the manufacturers and for the meters to not be costly they need to be manufacturing at high volume. If demand drops they can’t keep producing at the same volume.

Though maybe we can introduce a subsidy for the manufacture of non-smart digital meters, but I can’t help thinking that would go down like a lead balloon.

With that said, I think the hardware is getting somewhat undue criticism when so often the problems are sotware related. And that’s just the valid criticism, like billing issues resulting in non-functional smart meters. Never mind the bat***** insane arguments around health and cyber attacks. I mean have you seen the lengths white hats are going to, in order to find workable attack vectors for smart home devices, which often have substantially inferior security. Often they’re require direct line of site access:

1 Like

I am thinking more along the lines of the old meters that have been replaced with smart ones, they exist in their thousands and are already in working order and don’t have to be manufactured.

2 Likes

Fair enough, in those cases consumers should definitely have the choice not to be forced onto a smart meter, I just hope people who choice to do so are making that decision based on legitimate reasons like waiting to avoid billing issues as their supplier is essentially beta testing in production.

I still find it ludicrous that :octopus: are able to get SMETS2 meters and IHDs working and onto TOU tariffs that Bulb installed and could not get working months later. Never mind Bulb not supporting SMETS2 meters on their Smart Tariff. All perfectly legitimate arguments against having a smart meter, but it looks more like Bulb’s incompetence than the hardware itself.

1 Like

Not to mention the fact that Bulb apparently half the time can’t even correctly register the meter swap. How many times have we seen people post on here that they can’t submit meter readings, not because of the lack of the submit button, but because the “last reading” is still the one from their old meter and expected estimates are still based on values from that old meter. Billing issues like these would happen with any meter swap, smart or not.

@scudo The issue with reusing old meters isn’t that they are non-functional, but that many have passed or are near their certification lifetime in terms of calibration. It isn’t just a question of grabbing an old, working, meter and using it to replace a broken meter. It has to be put through the necessary calibration to check it’s actually metering correctly, not just appearing to still work. Who’s going to pay for that? It would be interesting to see just how many anti-smart meter people would be willing to put their money where their mouth is and pay (a few hundred pounds?) for a one-off custom meter calibration and certification.

Think I have lost the will to live, reading all this doom and gloom before I’ve had my caffeine fix, hell I was already on the verge of a nervous breakdown when my IHD went belly up tried CPR and defib even called 999 but all to no avail. In the finish up I resigned myself to the inevitable conclusion that it was terminal, now the poor little thing is in a cardboard box at the back of a cupboard somewhere, where I administered the last rites.
Hope I can remember where it is if they ever manage to reincarnate it