Unfortunately i need to cancel my account/service with Bulb (moving house but temporarily living back with parents!). How do i go about cancelling?

Hi @michael5803! To close your account just give us a call or an email with your final meter reading on the day you are no longer responsible for the house. We can then close your account accurately and send out a final bill showing your account balance. Then we can also refund any account credit remaining. Thanks :smile: