Cancelling service


Unfortunately having just recently switched to Bulb, I’m having to lodge with a mate for a few months. I couldn’t find out how to cancel. Could someone point me in the right direction please?


Hi @keiran658 no worries. To move out, all you need to do is send us a meter reading on the day you are no longer responsible for the property. We can then close your account accurately and send out a final bill showing your account balance. From there, we can refund any account credit remaining.