Can't connect IHD to wifi

How do I connect it to wifi?
I’ve followed the help topic.
I’ve tried WPS pin and WPS push button, also typed it my hub’s lengthy password (yes I got it right).
All I get is the wifi symbol “counting up” until it connects but the symbol flashes (indicating that it is scanning for networks). On both WPS modes the hub interface says device setup/connected, at which point the IHD’s wifi symbol starts flashing.
But it doesn’t stop flashing. If I go back to the wifi options it shows “Cancel scanning [Ok]” - which confirms the connection process didn’t work, and it just starts scanning?!

I’m lost.
I’m on virgin media, superhub 3.
Smart meters installed today, in standby mode the IHD displays “Waiting for current data” but surely it doesn’t need that for it to connect to Wifi.
The IHD is connected to the smart meter (the indicator has 3 lines).

I should have known better.
I’d already switched the IHD off and on, but no joy.
So I tried the connection dance again, then rebooted my hub, and whilst that was doing I switched the IHD off and in again.
Hey presto, it connects!

I have connected my ihd to my wifi but I’m not sure whether it actually does anything useful. Not all bulb ihds have wifi capability and OVO, who use the same ihds as bulb, have turned the wifi capability off on their ihds.

I have connected my ihd to my wifi but I'm not sure whether it actually does anything useful. Not all bulb ihds have wifi capability and OVO, who use the same ihds as bulb, have turned the wifi capability off on their ihds.

I was kinda hoping it would help get the IHD going quicker, thinking it might use wifi/internet to get my account info and pass back data…
But my IHD still says “waiting for current data” after 3 days =/

The WiFi unit does very little extra right now aside from use a little more power running an extra wireless radio all the time.

The guide you get with it will tell you that it can use it for software updates, but in theory one of the main advantages is that it can send instantaneous data and more regular meter readings to Bulb. With that they could create new features on the website/app to help members manage/understand their usage better, but so far I don’t believe anything has been created.

OVO switched off the functionality with their CADs but although they were (primarily) Chameleon devices, they were SMETS1 meters and older model CADs so not the same as Bulb are deploying.
The issues that OVO faced may be one of the reasons why Bulb isn’t rushing to do anything fancy with the CADs right now.