Change payment details


I am writing because I am moving house but there is another person who can continue paying the energy for the property where I currently live. How can I proceed? Do I need to get her to contact you and give her details?
Thank you,


Hi @DavidU, you should follow the moving home procedure here to ensure the new house is supplied by Bulb and is moved onto your account.

When you’ve moved out of your current property, it will continue to be supplied by Bulb unless the new resident decides to switch. If they wish to stay with Bulb, they can contact Bulb when they move in to speed along the account creation process.

@DavidU I agree with what @mowcius wrote. You can give us her contact details when you fill out details in the ‘moving home’ wizard.