Changing name and payment details, but keeping address

Hi there, how can I make someone else in my house pay the energy bills? Do I have to leave and tehy open a new account? That would take a month and be quite annoying. Can I call someone and give you their details and you change it on the system? Thank you!

Hi @hilal yes you’ll need to get in touch with us on the day that you’re no longer responsible for the bills and provide some meter readings. We can then close the account.

We’ll then need the new bill payer to call us on 0300 30 30 635 from Monday to Friday (9:00am to 6:00pm) to set up the account.

No need for it to take a month, should take a few minutes at most! :slight_smile: