Changing supplier

I requested to change a supplier from EDF to Bulb on 04/11/2018 and it was explained that it will take 3 weeks to do that.( by 25th of November)

In my Bulb account says that I can submit my first reading on 20th. Why not on the 25th? Who will be my supplier from 20th-25th of November? Will Bulb will supply me from 20th or 25th of November?

I requested to change a supplier from EDF to Bulb on 04/11/2018 and it was explained that it will take 3 weeks to do that.( by 25th of November)

In my Bulb account says that I can submit my first reading on 20th. Why not on the 25th? Who will be my supplier from 20th-25th of November? Will Bulb will supply me from 20th or 25th of November?

EDF will supply your energy up until the date of the switch, your supply wont be disrupted during the switchover.

Bulb asks for meter readings 5 days before the switch. These are then sent to an independent third party that checks them, before sending them on to your old supplier, i.e. EDF.

If there are no problems regarding the meter readings, they become the opening reading for Bulb and the closing reading for EDF which means you wont be billed for the same energy twice. EDF will use these readings to send you the final bill and close your account.

To add to Allanr comments, you may well find what appears to be a double payment. This occurs because until EDF close your account you will still be paying them and you must also pay Bulb (in advance) on your monthly dd from the 25th.
When all is finalised you will be paid back any outstanding monies from EDF.

If you switching and your previous supplier has agreed to the switch, then I would recommend canceling all DD and pay the previous supplier bill outright by card. By cancelling the DD you keep control of any incorrect money taken by mistake.

They (EDF) don’t have my bank details - they send bills and I pay…

Yes I received a letter from EDF saying sorry that I’m leaving etc. So I guess they agreed. Anyway they cannot not agree, we have right to choose our suppliers, same as with phone providers. :slight_smile:

Anyway, when I give my reading today to Bulb- does it mean that they will supply me from the reading that I’ll give today? Sorry I’m still confused.

The reading I will give to Bulb today will be the last meter reading that I’ll pay for EDF? If yes that means that today is the last day when EDF is providing me energy.

It says 20-30 November to submit my first reading but yet the window for submission is still not opened yet.

I’m very keen to use Bulb asap.

It looks like I can submit the reading.

It says 20-30 November to submit my first reading but yet the window for submission is still not opened yet.

I’m very keen to use Bulb asap.

You will switch to Bulb on the 25th, as advised. The date you give meter readings will not change when or how soon you switch to Bulb.

This confused me as well when I switched. Essentially what will happen if that the meter readings you give will be dated as taken on the 25th, no matter what date you actually gave them between 20th-30th. So if you give readings today (20th) you’ll pay Bulb kWh rates from today. But you’ll still pay for the next 5 days of standing charge with EDF until you officially switch on the 25th. So you’ll pay a kind of combined supplier tariff! I think this piece of information is what should resolve your concern?

You can always wait until the 25th to submit your readings if you want to be super accurate, it wont delay your switch.

But assuming the Bulb are cheaper, otherwise you wouldn’t be switching, it’s best to give the readings as soon as you’re allowed so that you can get an extra 5 days of cheaper rates until your actual switch date.

The reading I will give to Bulb today will be the last meter reading that I’ll pay for EDF? If yes that means that today is the last day when EDF is providing me energy.

Nope, the last day EDF will be supplying your energy will be on 25 November which is when you actually switch to Bulb. Bulb will in fact send you an email on the day of your switch, it will say something like:

Hi *****,

Congrats, Bulb is now your supplier for electricity and gas. Doesn’t it feel good, all that green energy… energising you? Your old supplier should send you your final bill within six weeks.

The reading which you supply to Bulb today will also be used by EDF to work out your final bill.

Nope, the last day EDF will be supplying your energy will be on 25 November which is when you actually switch to Bulb. Bulb will in fact send you an email on the day of your switch, it will say something like:

The reading which you supply to Bulb today will also be used by EDF to work out your final bill.

Agreed. So what the OP said is correct. The reading they give today will be the last meter reading they’ll pay for EDF. Even though it’s 5 days before the switch, the meter reading from today will be post-dated to the 25th.

That means they’ll have 5 days of early pre-switch Bulb unit rates, plus the remaining 5 days of EDF standing charges.

@Hooloovoo

Lets not complicate it, I answered the last question posed by Karolinaaaaa. The person was unsure if EDF will cease supplying the energy once a meter reading had been supplied.

From what I understood I’ll give them the meter reading today but EDF will still supply me until the 25th.

It looks like they will need the meter reading on the 25th too or they will use the one I’ll give today to finalise the final EDF bill?

From what I understood I’ll give them the meter reading today but EDF will still supply me until the 25th.

It looks like they will need the meter reading on the 25th too or they will use the one I’ll give today to finalise the final EDF bill?

Yes, EDF will supply you until the 25 th

Yes, EDF will need your reading, this will be the one you supply to bulb which in turn they will send to EDF after verification by a third party.

Oh @hooloovoo answered my question and now I understand very clearly! Thank you very much!

Thank you all for helping me to figure it out. :slight_smile: