Changing the location of the gas meter

I am hoping to extend the house and this will mean moving the existing (old) gas meter. Is this arranged through Bulb or through National Grid and what is the process?

Moving your energy meter more than 1 metre
You must contact your local electricity distributor and gas transporter. They’ll do the work that involves the supply pipe or cable outside your home.

The electricity distributor or gas transporter will usually charge at least £400 for the work, but it could be over £1,000 - it depends on how much work needs to be done.

You may still need a registered electrician or gas engineer to do other work - for example, preparatory digging, fitting a meter box or reconnecting your supply inside your home. You should get a number of different quotes before choosing a registered electrician or gas engineer to do this.

Moving your energy meter less than 1 metre
You’ll need to contact your supplier and tell them you want to have your meter moved.

Your supplier will give you a price for this. Prices vary, so you should also get prices from other suppliers and compare them.

Hi @davidn! As @phproxy has kindly explained, if you’re moving the meter more than 1m, or through a wall, you’ll need to contact your local gas transporter, as they’ll likely need to carry out some work first. You can find out who this is here -

Usually, you can arrange for them to carry out the necessary work in the morning, and we’ll book in a job to move the meter in the afternoon of the same day. We need at least 5 working days notice to book a job in, so if you do need to move the meter, please drop us an email at :).


Thanks all for your helpful responses.