CO2 emissions from gas supplied by Bulb

Hello,

1. Hello, you say that your gas is 100% carbon neutral. 10% is green gas produced from renewable sources like food or farm waste. And that you offset the rest of the gas you supply by supporting carbon reduction projects around the world. Could you please give me further details as I need to be sure about this when carrying out my monthly carbon calculations.
  2. Could you please confirm what calculation I should apply of CO2 emitted for each unit of gas you supply, stated in kgCO2 per 100 cubic ft? (I would prefer these units to anything to do with kWh as my meter works that way).
    Thanks, Simon

This is a public customer forum so I’m another customer. I do believe bulb will tell you your gas footprint is 0

Ultimately, the gas comes through the same pipes, if you use chemistry you could work out the units of gas burnt produces x co2 assuming complete combustion.

So for every molecule of methane loses 4 atomic weight, and gains 32. Methane itself has an atomic weight of 16.04 g/mol and CO2 has one of about 44. And you can work out from there.

Thanks but not sure I can work it out so easily. I’m looking forward to getting Bulb’s official response as regards the carbon emissions per unit.

Unfortunately for reasons best known to Bulb their team respond very infrequently on this Forum so you possibly may have to wait a little before getting an official response. The Bulb team were regular posters but this has dried up over the most recent months.

Hi @simon39,

Great question - you’ll be happy to hear that Bulb homes emit 0.00 kg of CO2 per kWh of electricity and 0.00 kg of CO2 per 100 cubic ft of gas. You can read about our carbon target here.

This is because we provide 100% renewable electricity and 100% carbon neutral gas. Our gas mix consists of 10% green gas, produced from renewable sources like food or farm waste, and we offset the rest by supporting carbon reduction projects across the world.

We’ve chosen our carbon offsets carefully, through our partner ClimateCare, meaning that our members are also supporting environmental and social projects in the developing world.

As I’m sure you can imagine, we’re a big fan of carbon offsetting. We know that it won’t solve climate change on it’s own, but we believe it’s an essential part of our journey towards a greener planet.

I’d love to hear what everyone else thinks?

10% green gas is good. More would be better. Projects to reduce gas consumption would be a step forward (e.g. better home insulation, conversion to ground source heat pumps).

Personally I think that carbon offsetting is bad: it will lead to market distortions, an attitude that CO2 emissions can be magically removed and, in less well governed places, another opportunity for corruption, to name just a few issues.

1 Like

Agreed, CO2 offsets are a way of clever accounting to actually avoid doing any real work. It’s better to not produce the emissions in the first place.
I’ve taken a step and in my next kitchen fit I intend on getting rid of all gas appliances

1 Like

I replaced my gas hob with an induction one. I had to change some cookware but it was worth it. The new hob is very responsive and extremely easy to clean.