Comparing numbers prior to sign-up

Want to sign my aged mother up, but I can’t make sense of the numbers. She’s on EDF’s (booooooo!) “Blue+Price Protection Aug17” tariff and uses a whopping 3900 kWh p.a. (I’ll have to look at that another time). If I dial those two bits of info into Bulb’s relevant page (also monthly direct debit and single fuel), I’m told she’ll save a bit, which is good, especially as the main reason is to stop her paying for EDF’s nuclear ambitions in Somerset. But if I look at the actual numbers, I can’t understand how Bulb says it’s going to be cheaper: EDF says she’s paying 13.45 p per kWh and a standing charge of 18.00 p per day, while under Bulb’s VariFair she’ll be paying 14.235 p per kWh and a standing charge of 27.3 p per day. On both counts Bulb is more, yet the tariff comparicon page says she’ll pay less. Tx for shining a light (not nuclear) on this! (I hope you haven’t factored in the £50 discount on sign-up… or have you? If so, Bulb is still a bit dearer in that first year…)

Hi @willmow, What the price comparison tool does is graduate your mother’s supply on to EDF’s standard variable tariff once her fixed price contract runs out, which looks to be in August 2018? This is how price comparison websites also estimate savings. Let me know if you have any other questions

Eh?

1. The Bulb tool asks for her specific tariff and gives it as an option - so one assumes it is basing its calcs on that data.
  2. Not for nothing is the EDF tariff called "Blue+Price Protection Aug17" - the clue as to when it runs out is in the name.........

Try again…

@willmow, Sorry I must not have been clear. The tool estimates your mother’s annual cost of energy by estimating the twelve month cost of energy by using the following tariffs:

A) Your mother’s fixed tariff from today until it runs out in August
and
B) After her fixed tariff runs out it uses EDF’s standard variable tariff

So effectively 20th March 2017 to August 2017 on her current contract, then September 2017 to 20th March 2018 on EDF’s standard variable tariff.

As EDF’s standard variable tariff is higher than our tariff this is where the savings are generated in the estimate.

Ingenious, but not wholly true to life as most people would surely switch to a new tariff. Assuming a similar tariff is found again, the penalty for my mum switching to Bulb is £64 or so over the year, minus the £50 golden hello. However, by paying Bulb, we’re paying for renewable geneation, so that’s a good reason for switching in itself. Personally, I’d rather have a lower standing charge and less of a golden hello situation… seems a more grown-up way of doing things.