Who do i make a complaint too, im being charged for Gas that i am not being supplied i transferred my gas from Robinhood about 3 months, its a pre-paid metre which Bulb has been aware of and still charging me Gas i have been billed for something that i am not receiving i still have to top up my gas every week and the money is still going to my old supplier if i do not i will be without gas, so now because of this i am without gas as Robinhood is gaining payment and Bulb is charging me or something i am not getting/receiving from them and now they threaten to send to debt collectors and refuse to resolve been on going now 3 months and a week without gas.

Click “Help” and search for “complaint”. The first result returned contains the information you require.

Thank you