Connecting to Wi-Fi

I note that the latest blog on 19 June recommends connecting to Wi-Fi. I have done this but do not know what the point of it is. What advantages does connecting to Wi-Fi have?

Some of the In-Home Displays we supply are able to connect to Wi-Fi. In the future, if you choose to connect your display to Wi-Fi, you will see more detailed information in your Bulb Account online.
I think the significant phrase here is "In the future..."

Hi there @mkpete By connecting to Wi-Fi, you can get software updates, and get half-hourly meter readings to better track your usage.

Hi there @mkpete By connecting to Wi-Fi, you can get software updates, and get half-hourly meter readings to better track your usage.

@“Mike B at Bulb” Could you check and expand on this, please?

Sure. Being connected to the Wi-Fi means that any software updates to fix any issues can be automatically downloaded to the display. This means that any issues can be remotely fixed.

Further, the IHD can track the usage on a half-hourly basis, so your usage can be tracked more accurately.

Further, the IHD can track the usage on a half-hourly basis, so your usage can be tracked more accurately.

What’s WiFi got to do with this?

Connected to WIFI to fix problems???
How many times have Bulb said that WIFI isn’t required???

Connected to WIFI to fix problems??? How many times have Bulb said that WIFI isn’t required???
https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/360026206852-Do-I-need-Wi-Fi-to-get-a-smart-meter-

We all understand this :slight_smile:

I’m trying to get Mike to actually go and check what he doesn’t understand … apparently the Bulb answer to the poor customer service over the last few months is to employ lots more staff and let them all loose with no training.

Hi again

I have just checked this again. The IHD can only update to show new meter readings half hourly if its not connected to WiFi. When connected to Wi-Fi, it can update every 30 seconds, which gives more data points track your usage.

Having more IHDs connected to WiFi also lets us troubleshoot and diagnose issues more effectively. This means we can roll-out fixes to previously unfixed IHD issues quicker. This won’t fix any individual IHD’s, but rather let us find global solutions to edge cases quicker.

I hope this helps

Hi again

I have just checked this again. The IHD can only update to show new meter readings half hourly if its not connected to WiFi. When connected to Wi-Fi, it can update every 30 seconds, which gives more data points track your usage.

Having more IHDs connected to WiFi also lets us troubleshoot and diagnose issues more effectively. This means we can roll-out fixes to previously unfixed IHD issues quicker. This won’t fix any individual IHD’s, but rather let us find global solutions to edge cases quicker.

I hope this helps</blockquote

Is this actually happening now?

Is this actually happening now?

@“Mike B at Bulb” The IHD already displays 10 second cadence electrical usage over the HAN connection from the meter. None of this requires WiFi. I’d suggest you go back and ask again. Consider this - if the IHD is connected to WiFi, but the meter itself is not, where is it getting the higher cadence data from? The answer is it’s not because it doesn’t work that way.

Who has told you this wrong information, twice?

Are you referring to data that is logged remotely by Bulb? Does this mean you are confirming that Bulb do now receive information over the internet from your SMETS2 customers? Previously this has not been the case and there was no expectation of that facility being made available any time soon.

Well Mike,my non working IHD is connected to WIFI and the meters haven’t sent readings since the 15th let alone every every half hour,and I did agree to daily readings!

My meters haven’t sent readings since 1st April when I got them installed. I’ve messaged bulb several times but never hear back from them.

Do all the IHD’s have WIFI, I was under the impression the new ones didnt have the hardware built in?

Hi @hooloovoo and @christos_1,

@“Mike B at Bulb” and I have put our heads together to clarify some of the points raised in this thread.

The IHD communicates with the electric meter over HAN only, allowing the IHD to update at frequent intervals - our smart team reckons its every 7 seconds, but we’d want to double check that with the manufacturer.

By connecting the IHD to WiFi, the IHD can pass this information over to Bulb more frequently. Currently we have the ability to receive smart data every half hour over the smart network, however with WiFi, we can hit sub-minute frequencies.

This isn’t the case yet though, as we’re still building the infrastructure to support this kind of communication. Therefore if you were to connect your IHD to WiFi today, it wouldn’t affect the way we receive your smart data - we’d also ask for your consent before making this change.

As Mike has already mentioned, WiFi allows your IHD to download firmware updates and lets Bulb diagnose issues more effectively. We want to encourage everyone to set up a WiFi connection, as it’s help us rollout IHD fixes as quickly as possible. Just to clarify though - this is for issues on a broader scale, a WiFi connection wouldn’t necessarily help us with an individual case.

As always, please don’t hesitate to ask if you have any queries about this. And as a brief reminder - Community is a place to share ideas and understanding. We encourage a critical viewpoint, but hope that you communicate it in a way which doesn’t discourage others from learning.

@“Mike B at Bulb” and I have put our heads together to clarify some of the points raised in this thread…

… We encourage a critical viewpoint, but hope that you communicate it in a way which doesn’t discourage others from learning.

When have I communicated in a way which discourages others from learning?

The IHD communicates with the electric meter over HAN only, allowing the IHD to update at frequent intervals - our smart team reckons its every 7 seconds, but we'd want to double check that with the manufacturer.

My Elster SMETS1 meter + Chameleon IHD updates every 10 seconds. Of course, other manufacturers might vary.

By connecting the IHD to WiFi, the IHD can pass this information over to Bulb more frequently. Currently we have the ability to receive smart data every half hour over the smart network, however with WiFi, we can hit sub-minute frequencies.

This isn’t the case yet though, as we’re still building the infrastructure to support this kind of communication. Therefore if you were to connect your IHD to WiFi today, it wouldn’t affect the way we receive your smart data - we’d also ask for your consent before making this change.

Thank you for the clarification. This was my understanding of how things worked. What is the likely timescale for a WiFi data acquisition alpha test? Any news on an API allowing customers to access these data?

As always, please don't hesitate to ask if you have any queries about this. And as a brief reminder - Community is a place to share ideas and understanding. We encourage a critical viewpoint, but hope that you communicate it in a way which doesn't discourage others from learning.

Absolutely, but the understanding shouldn’t be from customers to Bulb staff. Might I suggest that internal discussions as you’ve just had would be better taking place before staff are signed of for advising customers?

@“Mike B at Bulb” and I have put our heads together to clarify some of the points raised in this thread.

The IHD communicates with the electric meter over HAN only, allowing the IHD to update at frequent intervals - our smart team reckons its every 7 seconds, but we’d want to double check that with the manufacturer.

As Mike has already mentioned, WiFi allows your IHD to download firmware updates and lets Bulb diagnose issues more effectively. We want to encourage everyone to set up a WiFi connection, as it’s help us rollout IHD fixes as quickly as possible. Just to clarify though - this is for issues on a broader scale, a WiFi connection wouldn’t necessarily help us with an individual case.

As always, please don’t hesitate to ask if you have any queries about this. And as a brief reminder - Community is a place to share ideas and understanding. We encourage a critical viewpoint, but hope that you communicate it in a way which doesn’t discourage others from learning.

Hi, thanks for info above… could confirm please all current/future IHD’s will/have wifi?