Convert from prepayment to post payment or smart meter

Hello…

I switched to bulb in September this year. I am still on a prepayment meter for both electricity and gas.
Has anyone been in a similar situation and changed to post pay meters or even a smart meter

thanks & regards

Hi @jitheshmenonm, welcome to Bulb Community! :bulb:

It’s great that you’re thinking about moving from a prepayment meter to a credit meter. There are a few steps in this process which I’ll quickly run through.

The first is a soft credit check. This doesn’t affect your credit score, but just makes sure installing a credit meter is the right decision at this time.

If that’s passed, we’ll look into whether we can install a smart meter. If we can then that’s great, we can get that booked in subject to availability in your area for free. There are a few different pre-requisites for a smart meter however. If you can’t get a smart meter right now, we can install traditional credit meters that cost £120 per meter, or we can wait until smart meters are available.

If you want to get started with that, pop us a reply here and we can get the ball rolling :8ball:

Thanks for the reply. I do not want to spend money to install a new credit meter. So looking forward for a smart meter. What is the timeline for getting these smart meters? This is one of the reasons I switched from edf to bulb as I was promised bulb is installing smart meters faster

@jitheshmenonm, completely understand!

We are able to install smart meters now if you have the right set up. I’ve popped you an email so we can get this all going ahead for you, get back to me there when you can. :smiley:

Hi
I also want to change to a credit account monthly DD smart meter but my landlord needs to have the option to put it back to a prepayment meter when I leave. I need to know how much this will cost me to do but I can’t get an answer from the chat line.
Is it free to install?

Hi @31newstationroad, welcome to Community! :star2:

It sounds like you would need a smart meter installed in the property. We can set this to a credit meter when installed, but can request it be changed to a smart prepayment meter at a later date for the landlord. Smart meters are free to install, assuming you pass our soft credit check and meet the prerequisites for a smart meter (eg. no storage meters, no semi-concealed gas meter).

If this is something you’re interested in, let us know and we can get that started.