Cost increased by £400 as soon as I joined Bulb

Dear community & Bulb,
I recently switched to Bulb via uswitch because it said my annual bill will decrease by £482 to £1,786.29 based on the kWh of energy I provided. (In truth that’s roughly what I was paying my previous provider anyway, but I liked the idea of Bulb’s 100% green energy.) Now that I’m fully switched the Bulb website is telling me, using the same kWh figures, my annual bill will be £2,129. What happened to the savings uswitched promised? It was based on actual energy units so it should be accurate. In real terms this is a big price hike for me.

Just now I requested a new quote from Bulb, using today’s energy prices to ensure potential excuses such as “there’s been an increase in energy costs since you signed up” are invalid. I inputted the same kWh numbers and it said: “You’re currently paying around £2,220.14 a year. After switching to Bulb, you’ll be paying nearer £1,786.29.” Seriously?

In summary, uswitch (last month) and Bulb (today) are quoting me as a potentional new customer £1,786. But as an actual customer Bulb’s website is telling me the same amount of energy will cost me £2,129. Well how does that make sense? It feels like I’ve been taken for a ride and switching is nothing more than smoke and mirrors to make consumers think they’re getting a better deal when they’re not.

Can anyone explain please? Thank you in advance.
Gary.

1 Like

My advice would be, forget estimates and just compare the unit price per kWh (& standing charge for low energy users…)

@GaryF

I can assure you as a fellow customer you haven’t been taken for a ride

If you entered your previous 12 months energy in kWh in the quote page of Bulb and it came to £1786.29 then this is the cost of your energy for the next 12 months assuming your energy use remains the same (unlikely) plus the current tariff remains the same for the next 12 months.

Which page of your account did you see the cost of £2,129 for the same energy use? Without knowing this information I would say that Bulb are using an estimated usage supplied to them by their third party data collection organisation (they are independent of Bulb). This estimate wil be different to the kWh usage you entered for it to arrive at £2,129 compared to £1786.29.

@GaryF Which page of your account did you see the cost of £2,129 for the same energy use? Without knowing this information I would say that Bulb are using an estimated usage supplied to them by their third party data collection organisation (they are independent of Bulb). This estimate wil be different to the kWh usage you entered for it to arrive at £2,129 compared to £1786.29.

After logging in I click on “Tariff”. It shows virtually the same kWh I provided to uswitch and to Bulb when I ask for a quote, so it’s working from the same consumption figures but works the cost out to be significantly higher. I assume all Bulb customers pay the same rates if paying monthly by DD.

Tariff: Vari-Fair
Electricity Day Unit Rate: 15.94p per kWh
Electricity Night Unit Rate: 7.59p per kWh
Electricity Standing Charge: 20.44p per day
Assumed Annual Consumption: 10356 kWh
Gas Unit Rate: 3.37p per kWh
Gas Standing Charge: 20.44p per day
Assumed Annual Consumption: 18335 kWh
Estimated Annual Cost: £2129.48

As already posted, the only thing that matters is the cost per Kwh. 28 kwh is a massive amount of electricity. How do you manage to get through that?

After logging in I click on “Tariff”. It shows virtually the same kWh I provided to uswitch and to Bulb when I ask for a quote, so it’s working from the same consumption figures but works the cost out to be significantly higher. I assume all Bulb customers pay the same rates if paying monthly by DD.

Tariff: Vari-Fair
Electricity Day Unit Rate: 15.94p per kWh
Electricity Night Unit Rate: 7.59p per kWh
Electricity Standing Charge: 20.44p per day
Assumed Annual Consumption: 10356 kWh
Gas Unit Rate: 3.37p per kWh
Gas Standing Charge: 20.44p per day
Assumed Annual Consumption: 18335 kWh
Estimated Annual Cost: £2129.48

Shouldn’t the assumed annual consumption be split into night and day, I wonder if it this which is causing the inflated cost?

As already posted, the only thing that matters is the cost per Kwh. 28 kwh is a massive amount of electcity. How do you manage to get through that?

Quite easily it seems. 2 adults + 3 kids, washing machine on 2-3 times/day, dishwasher on 1-2 times/day. And a stupid new combi boiler where you have to run the tap for 40 secs to get hot water (it’s supposed to save energy but has increased my annual water bill to £800!)

Shouldn't the assumed annual consumption be split into night and day, I wonder if it this which is causing the inflated cost?

I added up the displayed cost per unit and consumption based only on the more expensive day rate and it only came to £1862 including gas and the standing charges. So Bulb’s calculations make no sense whatsoever. 1+1=3 according to them.

I added up the displayed cost per unit and consumption based only on the more expensive day rate and it only came to £1862 including gas and the standing charges. So Bulb’s calculations make no sense whatsoever. 1+1=3 according to them.

Are you able to show your calculations which arrive at £1862? This should then help clear up any discrepancies between the two different figures being shown by Bulb?

Sounds like you would be better off without the economy 7 meter.

And with some solar panels on the roof B)

£1786.29 is electricity only and £2129 includes gas?

Sorry for the late reply. The £1786 annual cost quoted by uswitch and the latest from Bulb (as a new customer) includes gas and electricity.

The consumption figures and rates used by uswitch and Bulb (both the new customer quote and my Tariff page as a customer) are:
Elec day: 2,790 @ 15.94p
Elec night: 7,566 @ 7.59p
Gas: 18,335 @ 3.37p
Standing charge: 20.44p per day

I calculate the above to be £1,786 per year inc the standing charge for each fuel. That’s exactly the same total given by uswitch and Bulb (new customer quote). However, my Bulb Tariff page is showing £2,129. It couldn’t have used the same figures that it’s showing on its page to calculate the cost, so either its calculation is incorrect and broken or Bulb are adding hidden charges to bump it up to £2,129.

It’s just frustrating that it thinks 1+1=3. If it’s a mistake in the programming of the Tariff page then fine, it would be good if they can fix it. But if I am on course to pay £2,129 based on the same energy consumption then something else is wrong.

My bill is horrifically high either way. The last time I looked at solar panels the cost of them and the energy they produce doesn’t make much of difference when it’s all factored together. Washing our clothes and dishes in the nearest river would make a bigger impact! :lol:

That night electricity usage seems high for someone with a gas combi and no mention of an EV?

That night electricity usage seems high for someone with a gas combi and no mention of an EV?

What’s an EV? I probably don’t have one if I don’t know what it is. At night we have a 2Kw oil filled heater on a low setting but that doesn’t explain why our consumption is more than double during the night.

What’s an EV? I probably don’t have one if I don’t know what it is.

In other words do you drive an electric vehicle (i.e. EV)?

Sorry for the late reply. The £1786 annual cost quoted by uswitch and the latest from Bulb (as a new customer) includes gas and electricity.

The consumption figures and rates used by uswitch and Bulb (both the new customer quote and my Tariff page as a customer) are:

I calculate the above to be £1,786 per year inc the standing charge for each fuel.

Thanks for the information it makes it a lot clearer.

If you check your tariff page does it show exactly the same unit rates as in your calculation above?

Assuming the unit rates are the same, then your cost of £2,129 is easily explained.

Bulb are supplied with an estimate of your next 12 months energy usage by a third part data organisation it is these that are used on your Bulb Tariff page rather than the energy figure you supplied for your quote. If this is the case I wouldn’t worry about the figures in the Bulb Tariff page as they are a guide only.

The important thing to remember is that you will only be charged for the energy you have actually used with at present the unit rates shown in your quote.

I think GaryF is saying that his tariff page has these numbers, including the assumed annual consumption:

Estimated annual cost as £2129.

He correctly calculates that those numbers should add up to £1786. And wonders why it says £2129.

The numbers on my tariff page are exactly as expected (but I don’t have day/night rates).
Elec: 3,448.4 @ 13.59p
Gas: 10,374 @ 3.37p
Estimated annual cost as £967.43

Sorry I don’t have an answer for you GaryF. I am interested to know what you are using your night electricity on though. 2Kwh continuous, every night, for a whole year is about 7000kwh.

@jjimjam

It isn’t at all clear that GaryF is saying these are the rates from his tariff page, but if they are then my explanation that the information on costs on the Tariff page is based in estimated energy rather than the kWh quoted by GaryF is possibly correct.

If you take the assumed electricity consumption of 10356, and assign 1/3 to night rate and 2/3 to day rate, then it ends up at £2129.

That’s what I guess has happened.

If you take the assumed electricity consumption of 10356, and assign 1/3 to night rate and 2/3 to day rate, then it ends up at £2129.

That’s what I guess has happened.

I doubt this is the case, but happily to be proved wrong if GaryF could supply the details of energy and unit costs showing on the tariff page.

My bill (with the Bulb app is immediate) has dropped by £30 a month. Fact. Now I want to get some referrals in to reduce my payments even more.