Could it be smarter?

Dear Bulb,

I’ve sent you two emails, weeks ago. I was patient enough, but it seems you are ignoring my messages. :frowning: I know that you’re busy, but it would be great to hear some sort of feedback. I don’t think my problem is unique, I believe it affects many of your customers.

I believe the smart meter + IHD technology you are offering is simply not capable of working properly in large block of flats. In such buildings the meter is NOT located in the apartments but in a separate dedicated room (usually one per level or per level and wing). The smart meter can be 20+ meters (or even more) away from your apartment, and there’s no way to move the IHD closer.

I asked you a few specific questions and I’m still waiting for your advice:

1. How I can make sure that you receive my smart meter readings? I have no way to check it, I can’t see the actual smart meter values when I log in to my account here on bulb.co.uk. That’s why I asked you to check my account specifically. I received no response, you are simply ignoring my emails :frowning: Ok, there’s a generic info available, you say that the connection problems of the IHD does not impact the smart meters capability to send data to Bulb. How I can be sure of that? What if the network connection if just simply poor at the room where the smart meter is located, in the middle of a concrete building, etc… How can I check the connection specifically between MY meter and Bulb? At first I wanted to check this, that’s why I sent you an email more than 2 weeks ago which you left unanswered.

2. Are you going to offer such feature on your website that will show the actual energy usage, meter readings, etc… Practically everything that is displayed normally on the smart meter. If you are getting the meter readings frequently and can offer a smart meter that implies you actually have the readings. Why do we need a separate IHD device? Why don’t you offer showing all this information on your website or in a mobile application? E.g. my mobile network provider or ISP can show my minutes, text and data usage almost real time. They didn’t give me an IHD that I need to get near to a mobile base station or any other infrastructure element. My online banking application can show all my credit card transactions including pending transactions in real time, etc… I don’t need a separate device which I need to get close to some other infrastructure elements.

Regardless of the smart meter issues I like your service and I’m satisfied in general. I just see the architecture of the provided solution a bit outdated, after all we’re in the 21th century. Everything is about the cloud, services, etc… Why can’t this solution be a bit smarter? Why can’t we get rid of those old styler IHDs and push everything to cloud, get some smart assistant integration (Google Assistant, etc…), etc… and have all info in almost real-time on our phones, tablets, pc, etc…, any time and everywhere, not just in a 5 meters range of the meter?

Thank you for your answer.

Bulb Customer

Hi @Customer,

I’m sorry you’ve had such a bad experience of your smart meter and that we’ve been slow on getting back to you. I can see we’re now handling your case.

As a rule we don’t suggest people book in meter jobs if their meters are further than 10 meters +, this is because the communication hub - the bit that transmits all the meter’s info over to us - sits on top of the electric meter, if the gas doesn’t connect with the electric then we’re not going to connect with either of the meters. We also wouldn’t allow you to book a meter job when you’re doing the initial booking if there isn’t enough signal coverage and then even when the engineer is there doing the job they’ll do a signal check to make sure.

In terms of making sure we take your reads properly, we can switch your meter to daily, meaning we take the read each day ( I can see we’ve offered this to you as well by email). This will be visible in your online account too when they start coming through a few weeks after the daily read has been set.

At the minute all suppliers provide an In Home Display to customers with a smart meter. I am sure we will soon offer an app that can do this, it does make sense and I like the idea personally. There are a lot of new developments coming out and we’re constantly changing things with smart.

Best

Oisin

Dear Bulb,

I’ve sent you two emails, weeks ago. I was patient enough, but it seems you are ignoring my messages. :frowning: I know that you’re busy, but it would be great to hear some sort of feedback. I don’t think my problem is unique, I believe it affects many of your customers.

I believe the smart meter + IHD technology you are offering is simply not capable of working properly in large block of flats. In such buildings the meter is NOT located in the apartments but in a separate dedicated room (usually one per level or per level and wing). The smart meter can be 20+ meters (or even more) away from your apartment, and there’s no way to move the IHD closer.

I asked you a few specific questions and I’m still waiting for your advice:

1. How I can make sure that you receive my smart meter readings? I have no way to check it, I can’t see the actual smart meter values when I log in to my account here on bulb.co.uk. That’s why I asked you to check my account specifically. I received no response, you are simply ignoring my emails :frowning: Ok, there’s a generic info available, you say that the connection problems of the IHD does not impact the smart meters capability to send data to Bulb. How I can be sure of that? What if the network connection if just simply poor at the room where the smart meter is located, in the middle of a concrete building, etc… How can I check the connection specifically between MY meter and Bulb? At first I wanted to check this, that’s why I sent you an email more than 2 weeks ago which you left unanswered.

2. Are you going to offer such feature on your website that will show the actual energy usage, meter readings, etc… Practically everything that is displayed normally on the smart meter. If you are getting the meter readings frequently and can offer a smart meter that implies you actually have the readings. Why do we need a separate IHD device? Why don’t you offer showing all this information on your website or in a mobile application? E.g. my mobile network provider or ISP can show my minutes, text and data usage almost real time. They didn’t give me an IHD that I need to get near to a mobile base station or any other infrastructure element. My online banking application can show all my credit card transactions including pending transactions in real time, etc… I don’t need a separate device which I need to get close to some other infrastructure elements.

Regardless of the smart meter issues I like your service and I’m satisfied in general. I just see the architecture of the provided solution a bit outdated, after all we’re in the 21th century. Everything is about the cloud, services, etc… Why can’t this solution be a bit smarter? Why can’t we get rid of those old styler IHDs and push everything to cloud, get some smart assistant integration (Google Assistant, etc…), etc… and have all info in almost real-time on our phones, tablets, pc, etc…, any time and everywhere, not just in a 5 meters range of the meter?

Thank you for your answer.

Bulb Customer

They haven’t responded to any of my emails either-not good customer service!