Credit Refund

Hi. I would like a £300 credit refund, please. I submitted up to date meter readings yesterday. If there is anything else I need to do just let me know.

Hi @jongordon, the best way to get this processed would be to contact Bulb via phone (0300 30 30 635) or via the web-chat here.

@jongordon I have sent you an updated bill using those readings, and have processed a refund for £300. That will be with you in 5-10 days. Cheers, Owen