Day rate or night rate - SMETS1

I have a SMETS1 meter that has lost its smartness since transferring to Bulb from another provider. Sometimes I want to know whether I’m on Day or Night rate at a specific point in time. For example, I schedule a towel rail to come on between 07:00 and 08:00. I read that in my area, night rate is between 00:00 and 07:00 hrs, but during British Summer Time that period advances one hour meaning that night rate applies between 01:00 and 08:00. However, I can’t prove this as I can’t determine the rate being applied when I check the meter reading. Hope I’ve explained this properly. Does anyone know how to read the rate being applied on a SMETS1?

I suspect you are no longer on a dual rate tariff following your switch to Bulb, since Bulb do not support it on SMETS1 smart meters.

What do your statements say? What meter readings have you been providing?

I confirm I am on dual rate. I can take both readings but I don’t know which rate is live at the time of reading.

I confirm I am on dual rate. I can take both readings but I don't know which rate is live at the time of reading.

Interesting. So apparently Bulb can do dual rate on SMETS1 now. It’s nice of them to announce this so we all know. I might have to investigate switching to this from the current smart tariff trial.

Regarding working out which reading is which, the simple test is to look at the meter during the day and see which one changes. If you don’t know which one is which, how have you been sure so far that you’ve been entering them the right way around when submitting readings?

What model of smart meter do you have? My Elster AS300P indicates which rate is active in the top right hand corner of the display. If you have a different model, perhaps someone here will be able to tell you how to find the active rate.

Regarding the switching times, I’m not sure if the area variation applies with smart meters. I know that on the smart tariff the switching times are the same no matter where you live. One thing I can confirm is that the meter clock correctly accounts for time zone changes, and so the switching times are always the same in both winter and summer. You don’t have to remember to offset them as with the old meters.