death of account holder

my father in law as just passed away and I wish to close his account and transfer the direct debit for the energy use into my name until his property is sold. Who do I contact?

Hi @Les_hutch. I’m sorry for your loss and thanks for getting in touch. To make changes, including the name on account and payment details, we’ll need a letter of authority. This can death certificate or power of attorney. If you could send this to then we’ll make sure this is attached to the account. We’ll need to take payment details over the phone so please give us a quick call on 0300 30 30 635, from Monday to Friday (9:00am to 6:00pm), one of our team will get these changed for you. Once the property is sold, we’ll help close the account.