Debt Collection Threatened Over Bulb Cock Up

Anyone else had switch problems? I requested a switch which was confirmed as completed by Bulb on 15th Sept. I just received debt collection threats from npower whilst on holiday, only picking up the paperwork on my return and called them very angry that I’m not even supplied by them any more and can prove it as I have had all the relevant emails and confirmations from Bulb. They investigated and found the Bulb switch on my electricity had gone through but there has been no confirmation for the gas even though my Bulb account said it had. Called Bulb who say “oh sorry the confirmation hasn’t actually gone through but we can try again on the 18th of November! We can give you a £10 credit though” . So now I will have been on the most expensive tariff for gas through npower for 2 extra months, had debt collection threats, had arguments with npower over something that wasn’t their fault, still not sure it is going to go through properly and guess what? It’s ok, they’re going to give me a tenner!!! HOW DOES THIS COMPANY GET SUCH GREAT REVIEWS???

Wow!

Bit of a novelty to hear that it’s not nPower causing the problem here! They are one of the worst suppliers I’ve ever had the misfortune to deal with. Having held several accounts with them in the past (they have been the incumbent provider at my past 3 addresses… much to my frustration!) I can’t remember them doing a thing right without several escalations and arguments with their so-called ‘customer service’ agents. Atrocious!

But this is concerning to hear about Bulb; as a new customer about to switch over soon, it makes me rather nervous so would be great to have some re-assurance from Bulb that this is being handled effectively?

Care to comment Bulb? :slight_smile:

That’s a terrible experience.

Bulb gets great reviews because, on the whole, they are great. I’ve been very happy with them for 2 years.

GeordiePete

I wouldn’t be nervous, it is likely that the meter reading supplied to Bulb by Mrianlala1 is possibly still going through the necessary validation process by a third party. All suppliers involved in a switch have to go through this process to make sure the opening reading for the new supplier is the same as the closing reading for the old supplier.

For Mrianlala1 to have received a debt collection letter it must mean the DD was cancelled prior to the account with npower being closed. Perhaps not a good idea.

I wonder why Mrianlala1 hasn’t mentioned if she contacted the Bulb team direct rather than via their public community forum?

Just for the record I did call and the response was so not reassuring at all. The person I spoke to sounded like they hadn’t a clue and said “now it appears it hasn’t gone through, so what YOU need to do … errr sorry what we need to do is try again”. When pushed on timescale it turned out this can take another 2-3 weeks, now bearing in mind I’d been emailed and even now logging onto this site it all says it went through and it was all transferred NEARLY 2 MONTHS AGO and they’ve TAKEN PAYMENT for my gas (this is Bulb) I wasn’t impressed. I was told the payment would be refunded (it hasn’t) and that an extra £10 would be added (it hasn’t). Now HONESTLY tell me Alanr would you not cancel your direct debit with the previous supplier once you have been emailed over a month ago, had a £50 credit AFTER switching and can SEE your new LIVE account online AND have been charged by your new direct debit for gas with your new suppllier? I hate it when people assume things and don’t read the full details, if I hadn’t contacted the team how would they have offered me £10? I’m a man by the way…

would you not cancel your direct debit with the previous supplier once you have been emailed over a month ago, had a £50 credit AFTER switching and can SEE your new LIVE account online AND have been charged by your new direct debit for gas with your new suppllier?

No, I would not. Just because everything is set up with the new supplier is not an indicator that the old supplier account is closed.

Everything you mention is related to the new supplier. You shouldn’t have cancelled your direct debit with the old supplier until the old supplier had confirmed your account was closed. During my switch, Scottish Power took a payment for an extra month after Bulb had taken over the account but before the old account was all settled up and closed. That’s because they’re useless. It’s a good job I hadn’t pre-emptively cancelled the direct debit before I had confirmation from Scottish Power that the old account was closed properly.

@Mrianlala1

Sorry about the gender goof.

Luckily I have had none of your problems, in fact it was seamless…

I transferred to Bulb about 5 months from two of the big six, and kept my direct debit in place for both of my old suppliers until I received their respective closing bills. I was aware at the time that it could take up to six weeks after the switch to get the closing bills issued… The need to keep DD open is that any refunds or credits can be correctly paid.

I would hope one of Bulb team will pick up this thread and quickly sort out your problem.

Yes, I would @Mrianlala1.

I cancel my DD with old supplier as soon as possible because they’re always likely to take another payment in error. Companies then often seem to have difficulty in refunding credit balances back to the departing customer (and yes, I’m aware of the third party validation process in case anyone wants to remind me of it).

Companies then often seem to have difficulty in refunding credit balances back to the departing customer

That’ll be because you’ve cancelled the direct debit that needs to be in place for the reverse transaction to be processed …

Seriously some of you don’t half make life hard work.

Seriously some of you don't half make life hard work.
@Hooloovoo On the contrary. My switches have all been completely trouble-free.

Thanks yyt. At least it confirms not everyone is a condescending know it all. Ps I’m not reading any more replies as I have a life and don’t spend my days reading and talking down to all the less fortunate (Alanr / hooloovoo xxxx)

Thanks yyt. At least it confirms not everyone is a condescending know it all. Ps I'm not reading any more replies as I have a life and don't spend my days reading and talking down to all the less fortunate (Alanr / hooloovoo xxxx)

I appreciate you wont be reading this reply, but I can say that I wouldn’t wish to be condescending to anyone on this forum. I provided details of my personal experience which was to highlight that cancelling a DD early with your previous energy supplier may lead to potential problems regarding any refunds or underpayments.