Dept collection

Hi All,

I have just received a dept collection letter for money owning to Bulb, I dont use Bulb but can only imagine it is for the energy used in between when i moved in and when my current provider started.
How can i pay them for this energy used so the dept collectors stop hassling me.

So you did use Bulb when you moved in. You just didn’t arrange to pay them. For future reference, when you move into a new property you have to arrange to pay the existing energy provider to the property. Only after that’s done should you start a switch to a new provider.

I’m taking a shot in the dark here but I’d contact Bulb customer service. Use phone or online chat. Don’t email, they take a long time to respond to email and you wont be able to give your payment details via email anyway.