Did anyone else get an email advising their bill would increase by 23.85%

Hi,

Been with Bulb for a few months and thought it was a good move, even though it was slightly soured by getting a small price increase email a day or 2 after signing up.

However, I’ve received an email today saying “In August, we said we might need to increase our prices and, sadly, we do. This means your energy will cost £37.75 more each month as wholesale energy costs have risen by 18% since June.”

My projected costs were £1899. Now they are £2352. So the extra £37.75 per month rise is actually 23.85%!

Has anyone else experienced this percentage rise?

Thanks for your time…
Regards
Bil

Same here, I am leaving them

Same, mine is 41% Increase 1 month after joining!
And the switch has not been done properly meaning I m paying 2 providers at the minute!

Bil, in rough terms my electricity unit costs are going up by 6% and gas by 30%. Average the two and it comes to 18% as per the email I received. The fact that I use far more gas than electricity means that my increase would be much closer to 30% than 18%. It’s a fact of life that energy prices will rise - my issue is over lack of transparency about the real % increase for gas. 18% is bad enough but when you find out it’s actually closer to 30%, that hurts!

Hi all, thanks for the candid feedback here. I’m sorry some of you think we weren’t transparent enough with this - We’ve given as much notice as possible about the rising wholesale prices, and we feel we have given ample time for people to think over if they want to stay with Bulb or not.

If you guys have more suggestions on how we can communicate these better we’d love to hear them. We tried to put all the relevant info in, with additional information if people wanted to dive into it through the attachments, but if you think we were misleading or unclear we’d really like to hear it.

For the best part of last week I have been trawling through different energy companies looking a at tariffs that would benefit me most.
Yours came up the best as I currently pay £75 per month and you quoted me £64 per month.
I finally made the switch to you on Saturday only to receive an email from you 24 hours later stating that your prices will rise in November thus costing me an extra £11.34 per month!
I know I can cancel the switch but I am very frustrated and disappointed that you didn’t include this price rise in my quote as you knew about it before you quoted me?
Now I have to start the whole process again!
Can you explain why you didn’t include this in my quote?

Hi all, thanks for the candid feedback here. I'm sorry some of you think we weren't transparent enough with this - We've given as much notice as possible about the rising wholesale prices, and we feel we have given ample time for people to think over if they want to stay with Bulb or not.

If you guys have more suggestions on how we can communicate these better we’d love to hear them. We tried to put all the relevant info in, with additional information if people wanted to dive into it through the attachments, but if you think we were misleading or unclear we’d really like to hear it.

Bill, please read my suggestion in the earlier thread that you responded to earlier. In short, I don’t believe that you should have communicated an average price increase across gas and elec but stated what each was, in my case 30% gas, 6% elec. That would have been transparent. The “18%” is, frankly, a bit of a fudge.

@JP240 - that’s fair enough - it’s a difficult balance between a message that gets to the point with all the relevant information, and one that can be seen as an information overload. If you think we’ve gotten that wrong that’s valuable feedback - I’m keen to see how the rest of the community feels about it too, but I’ll certainly be feeding it back to the communications team.

Hi JP240, thanks for the reply. Yes, that’s the issue I’m facing because my energy use is 75% gas to 25% electric hence the %age rise is skewed to the higher increase to the gas prices.

@“Bill at Bulb” Thanks for the info and for coming on here to answer questions from unhappy customers. Like you say, I guess we all have to some research and decide if Bulb is still the cheapest. It’s a pity there are a lot of us that are fairly new customers and who feel a bit disappointed.

Thanks again
Regards
Bil

Hey @Bil - great name by the way! :slight_smile: Thanks for your kind words - We care about serving our members here, I’d be doing a poor job if I didn’t do everything in my power to talk through with anyone who was unhappy today - We hate feeling like the bad guy, and although many of you are disappointed you’ve all been really civil with me and happy to give feedback - I wish your early days with Bulb were happier, and if there’s anything I can help with feel free to shoot me a message and I’ll do what I can

I was notified of a 17% increase in my monthly tariff, which brings me roughly into line with what I was charged before at Scot Power. However, as their prices are going up too, I’m hoping that sticking with Bulb will be a worthwhile decision in the end. They still haven’t given me my £50 credit for persuading someone else to switch recently though!

Well that was short and sweet, I only moved to Bulb in June, turns out even British Gas would be cheaper for me now!

20% increase for me means that I have a choice from about a dozen suppliers/tariffs.

ESB have a 2 year fixed that looks reasonable.

Hi @mintymiller - the credit should be applied on the day the switch completes (i.e. when we start supplying their home) - if that’s already passed shoot me a private message and I’ll look into this for you

@Coal_Fired - we’ve been talking on other threads, but I’m glad you’ve found a supplier you’re more comfortable with - I’m sorry your time with us wasn’t as either of us would’ve hoped.